Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:57 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 9:46 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

.... Nay, it isn't that SK has found a cute girlfriend (although I will be sure to post a topic here to rub everyone's noses in the fact the minute that that actually happens :angel ), but read below and you will find out what SK just might soon be suffering recurring nightmares from.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

... I really don't want to believe that any of this is true, ... at least that any of these breakthroughs in science could actually cause the same sort of world-wide catastrophe that we have all come to enjoy fighting our way through in so many survival horror games involving zombies. But then, I am no scientist. I consider myself a scholar, but certainly no scientist. The Earth will likely go to hell in a handbasket eventually because of the arrogance and wanton cruelness of some humans, but surely not in this way. I guess I just look at myself as taking movies and video games way too seriously if I truly believe that a zombie apocalypse can actually happen.

Still, I find this information intriguing in a way. If anyone here doesn't know of the existence of cracked.com, then you can find a lot of interesting lists such as the one above. The guys who make them obviously claim to be exposing a truth on the subjects of interest that most of the rest of the world doesn't know, and whether they are or not, they present their subjects in such an entertaining fashion that I'll happily read just about anything on this site, anyway. 'Kind of the same reason why I like to read or listen to The Spoony One's rants.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 4:32 am 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

That sucks.

In an awesome sort of way.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 9:51 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Here's what gets me though. It seems like zombies have always known the difference between another zombie and a un-infected person. If a zombie is broken down to basic instincts, there would be no way for them to deduce the difference.

If that's true, then if there ever was a zombie outbreak, you'd just quaranteen them off till they kill each other.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 9:56 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Well, you never know, God might throw in a convenient plot device, as well. :P

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 10:11 am 

Level 0

Basic instincts include the ability to distinguish by smell and it need not be concious but merely chemical.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 10:22 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

That's only if you believe basic instinct somehow gives them a MAJOR boost in their sense of smell. I don't think anything will actually improve from becoming undead though. If a zombie had a human and another zombie placed in front of it, it would probably attack the closest one... reguardless of infection or not. But there's no real way to know... yet.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 10:23 am 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Maybe we can finally get a real-life House of the Dead!

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 10:47 am 

Level 0

It depends on the nature of the infection. Some zombies get increased strength or speed so I don't see why they might not also get increased smell and if not, maybe it is more so a disposition to be attracted only to a single smell (the smell of uninfected flesh) even without increased sensitivity.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 12:09 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 0

Isn't because they're infected with a parasite like compound throughout their body that wants to spread?

Makes sense that at the lowest form of Zombieism the Zombies could be forced to spread the disease by whatever means necessary.. which generally includes biting/clawing as they don't know how to do much else.

Aside from that.. how about mutation? Generally we think of 'mindless' zombies.. but I think if it became a reality some of our conscious would be there.. undoubtedly giving us the ability to choose how we might react to certain things.

But, really.. I don't think it's a heightened sense of smell as much as seeing something moving and going toward it.. like a dog to a car.. why does a dog want to chase a car? Who knows! But it does..

So Zombies see something moving faster than them.. and they move toward it.

Makes sense to me, anyway.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 4:36 pm 
Heh, "user avatar"

Level 0

Every hypothesis in that list says that the "zombies" would go back to "basic instincts."

Fighting is not a human basic instinct. At least, any competent form of fighting isn't.

In my view the worst that could happen is that everyone is forced to learn kung fu to defend themselves from zombies.
And that would certainly be the most incredible thing to ever happen to mankind.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 4:38 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

Or you could burn them... unless they're wearing hazmat suits.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:09 pm 
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

Quote:
Or you could burn them... unless they're wearing hazmat suits.

Please, ... no need to remind me of the plethora of inconvenient horrors that we will soon be facing in Left For Dead 2. .... And using martial arts over guns to defend ourselves against a horde of hungry zombies truly does sound like an awesome idea, Gnasher. It's what the main protagonist in my SK-stamped novelization of Resident Evil: Code Veronica X that I posted here several months back used to fight off zombies whenever she ran low on bullets, anyway. ^_^

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 7:07 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 0

Yeah, but I think whether fighting is a basic instinct or not.. it's an evolution.

Martial arts vs. Zombies.. see, I don't think that would work, honestly. In movies when you see someone punch a zombie in the face.. have you ever punched someone in the face? Generally you aren't a dead aim.. and if they're growling at you (as I could imagine) you're likely to beat your hand up against bone.. possibly cutting yourself..

and cutting yourself on one of their cuts.. (or their teeth).. wouldn't you be infected?

But, I've decided that I'm just going to become one of the people who fends off the horde.. gets bit once but still lasts like 8 months while 'nursing the wound' instead of turning immediately like 99% of the other victims who get bit. XD What's the deal with that, anyway? Stupid movies, I say.

Still, if the zombie apocalypse happens.. I just moved out into the woods.. so I should be good until humming birds are able to infect people.. (as I recently put out some feeders and now see no fewer than 10 humming birds a day feeding)..

I just need more bullets, now.