Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently June 16th, 2024, 5:10 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 6:26 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Don't get too excited. What you see here is about all I've done so far. Basically, the remake is in the "tinkering" phase of development, and I have yet to decide whether I'll really go through with it.

But I like what I've done so far. Seeing that I just did a let's play of Jester's Hunt a few months ago, can you spot the differences from the old game?

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 10:41 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Big bump in a small way.

Which, by the way, I'm rebuilding from scratch. Didn't really mention that last time.

The main feature of this video is the battle system, which I was working on over the weekend. Simplistic in nature, mostly due to the limitations of the game creation tool I'm working with, but I intend to put a lot more work into it than I did the original. For example, the fairy never even had an attack in the original.

The treasure chest is for debug purposes. It toggles enemy turns. You can see it in action while I'm fighting the elf.

"Forbode" is a feature that I HOPE to include in the final game, but whether or not I will depends on how much memory he takes. (Every enemy in the game has to be programmed to give him to you.) His main purpose is to let you know that you're down to 1 hit, which would make up for the fact that I can't show your health without you going into the menu to check.

The damage indicators are another new feature. They're included because I actually intend for some enemies to be able to cause more than 1 point of damage.

As for other little things, the custom token sprites from the original were replaced with RPGM1's default pile of coins, due to the token sprite being replaced with the "small" status the fairy turns you into (I can only have up to 9 custom sprites in RPGM1). What I was showing off was a memory-saving trick that would allow me to program multiple tokens in less-costly duplicate events.

Likewise, the sign in the danger room holds redundant data shared by the enemies. They all call to the sign to save memory.

The white and black cluckles are already fully functional, but I didn't show them off due to them visually not functioning any differently than the original. The eggs off to the side are TEMPORARY replacements for the "? Tokens" that increase your max HP and MP, and are completely functional. I plan on giving them brand new sprites, as well.

And finally, Jester's there to give me new attacks. Bird Watch, Healing Ray, and Energy Drain are implimented. But like with the cluckles, they function the same as in the original, so I didn't bother showing them off.

As for when this game will release... well, what you see in this and the first video are about all I've done so far, so it'll be a while. I don't have the same free time to work on the remake that I did with the original.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 3:49 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 30

I didn't relize until today that it's been almost 5 mounts since the first video...

PostPosted: May 8th, 2015, 1:10 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually started building these levels, yet. This is the result of more tinkering.)

While Jester's Hunt was mostly an overhead adventure, there was one section of the game that took place in a 2D view: the sand castle. This here shows that I'm trying to improve how the original looked.

The underwater sections will also be improved, both visually and... um... gameplayey. While the original version did have transformations, the transformation for the beach level was into a pirate, and it was kinda useless. So I swapped it out for a more useful transformation.

And then comes the dog sled racing minigame. In the original, you raced solo, and movement was kinda chunky. Here, I'm changing how it functions completely. Still a little chunky, but at least there will be an actual opponent. The sound effect that plays when you're moving, I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. It's a little loud, and RPGM1 doesn't have a volume option for sound effects. At the same time, I do want some sort of sound to play while you're moving.