Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently May 12th, 2024, 5:40 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: May 20th, 2005, 9:15 pm 
Rank 1: Untrained Thief Rank 1: Untrained Thief

Level 0

Ah spells... great aren't they? The spell creation system was made so that spellcasters have great control over what type of spells they want down to the T. Every level you gain points equal to your level, you can keep these points for as long as you want, but you can never hold more points than your intelligence. At level 1 you start with 1 point as a black mage, white mage, and psionic. The first thing you will do when making a spell is choose an element. The elements are Light, Fire, Water, Ice, and Lightning. Each element has it's own strengths and weaknesses and it's own status effect it can inflict (if you choose to work on it).

Status Effects

Fire inflicts the burn status, which lowers an enemies' hitpoints every round, but can be stopped by taking a turn to put it out.

Water inflicts the poison status, which slightly lowers an enemies' hitpoints every round, but can be removed by an antidote.

Ice inflicts slow, which reduces an enemies' agility until cured.

Thunder inflicts paralyze (max 25%), which stops an opponent for 1 turn.

Light inflicts mute, which stops an opponent from casting spells for 4 turns.

You can spend as little as 1 point and as many as all your points when you create a spell, it is up to you. However, keep in mind that the spell will cost half of what you spend (rounded up) to cast. If you spend 11 points to create a spell, it will cost 6 to cast. If you spend 24 points to create a spell, it will cost 12 to cast. Points can be spent in the following ways:

1 point for an increase of 4 in spell power
+10% of the total cost to add a status effect
1 point for a +5% chance to hit with a status effect
+10% of the total cost for the ability to hit multiple targets
+1% of the total cost for -1% in magic point cost (max 30%)
-10%/20%/30% to the total cost of the spell by taking a limitation that allows you to only cast it 3/2/1 time(s) per day

Yes, this might require a calculator, but it is still extremely easy to do. First add up all the points you spent by increasing power or your chance to hit with a status effect. Then add up all the percents you increased and decreased the total cost by. Add the percentage you get to 100%, then multiply the two numbers together and round up. This is the total amount of points it costs to create the spell. Note that if you take a limitation, you could end up paying less than 100% of the cost of the spell. Now let's take a look at two examples:

For my first spell, I have decided to make a water spell. I spend 7 points in power (for +28 power) and +10 percent for the ability to hit multiple targets. 100% + 10% = 110% x 7 points = 7.7 points. Rounded up that means it costs 8 points to make this spell and 4 magic points to cast it. Costs are always rounded up, so even 1.1 rounds up to 2.

Later on in the game I decide to make a second spell, this time it will be a fire spell. I want to spend 25 points in power (for +100 power), +10% to hit multiple targets, +10% for a status effect, and 5 points for +25% chance to hit. I also decide to take the limitation to cast it only 1 time per day for a -30% bonus. The cost would be 30 (25 + 5) points x 90% (100 + 10 + 10 - 30) for a total of 27 points to create it and 14 magic points to cast it. Note that a spell with a status effect STARTS at a 5% hit rate, so adding 25% would result in a 30% hit rate.

If you are a blue mage looking for a starting spell to select, here they are:

Element: Fire or Water or Ice or Thunder or Light (destructive)
Spell Power: 5
Status effects: None
Limitations: None
Note: This spell represents the first spell you were able to copy. How and where you got it is up to you.

Take note that black mages and psionics may make destructive spells in the fire, water, ice, and thunder categories and white mages may make a healing spell or a destructive light spell. If a healing spell is made, halve the power rating (each point only gives +2). These three classes start with 1 point at level 1 to create a spell. Spell costs are always rounded up. If your total ends up at 5.1, it is rounded up to 6.

If you don't want to mess with spell creation, pm me and I will make a spell for you. Descriptions of spells, however, are still up to the individual player. Take note that even if you say you hit an enemy in the leg (or something) no other effect than what the spell does will take place. However, it could make for some great flavor text.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]