Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:13 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 9:31 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

An idea I just had.

Choose a day off in February, whether from school or work, whichever day you'll have the least amount of distractions. Dedicate it entirely to RPG Maker. See how much you can get done in one day, and compare who had the best progress.

Especially in preparation for MagCon. But even if you're not going to have a game for MagCon, you should give it a shot. No, seriously, I challenge every one of you. And I am not exempt from this. ;)

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 11:33 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I fully back your idea... though, I won't be able to participate. I just don't have the game in my possession and couldn't work on it even if I really wanted to. And SK would just laugh at you (or anyone else for that matter) for suggesting this. Though when I DO get work to do, I work on it daily.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 1:21 pm 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage

Level 10

Good thing for me im off every monday and friday of the week. So ill definitely participate in this :).

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 4:50 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

It's a great idea!

Unfortunately, February is already a power progress month for me, because I have to get a playable JA demo off the ground.

Edit: Aw heck, I'll sign up for this too. Why not?

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

Last edited by 1ce on January 21st, 2010, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 5:13 pm 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

Maybe. Probably.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 11:17 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I do Power Progress all the time. Sometimes.

But I will join in on your crusade.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 11:19 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Ixzion wrote:
all the time. Sometimes.

Explain this please...

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 11:20 pm 

Level 0

I'm game.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2010, 1:02 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

I'm not sure I'll be able to join in. But if I manage to get a day off, I'll definitely do it. Maybe it's the push I need to continue my game.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2010, 8:49 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

January has pretty much been Power Progress Month for me. But, why not February, too? I have Kupid and that sprite generator to work on, so full steam ahead!

Thutmose's Workshop: Making Things for RPG Maker
Kupid RPG Maker Keyboard: Live Stream

PostPosted: January 29th, 2010, 1:25 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

im going to make feb my return to rpg maker. my game has been shelved for a while, so this is a good time as any to get back with it and pump out some progress. ill try to slip in some reviews too if i can.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2010, 1:59 pm 
Rank 9: Mischievous Thief Rank 9: Mischievous Thief
King of Heroes

Level 53

If I can work it around the crap I have to do, then sure. I have been lax in my school stuff, but I'm getting back on pace... hopefully. So, I probably won't be working on much, as I have tests throughout the month that I need to study for.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 9:45 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

And so it begins.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 1:00 am 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

with success on my end. ive already picked up my game again and am tinkering with it. ix is going to make it official on the front page so we can attract some more activity.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 10:20 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I wish I could participate... =/

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:56 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

So long as SK hands you the game at some point this month, you can.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 8:08 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

Progress as always.

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2010, 11:32 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

So yesterday wound up being my day to dedicate to RPG Making. Mostly. There was a point where I ate with the grandparents and watched some Biggest Loser. It ended on a cliffhanger. What fun.

So, I started a little after 5:30pm, took a break an hour and a half later. Resumed work at 10pm and continued on for 12 hours straight. Totalled 13.5 hours of work in one day. And I had some good music to listen to. (I finally found a radio station that plays what I like, and they never repeat a song the entire day!).

I had wanted to make Monday my day, and managed to get two hours of work done then, too, before I got pulled away. For that day, I got the visuals for the pause menu started. So when I started yesterday, finishing the pause menu was the first task to get completed. Or, almost completed. The "Quit" option isn't completely functional yet, on account I don't have the place to quit to, yet. In any case, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

I also took a special effect I had already made and made it a little more randomly generated. There were also some other little effects I made, and those took WAY more time to work on than it should've. An hour of work on those alone, and they still don't look quite right to me.

I was also set back by a couple glitches, and being that RPGM2 is more complex, they took a good chunk of my time, too. What makes them worse is they're random flukes, and I can't get them to occur intentionally. The first is when an enemy seems to randomly die without being attacked. Through the placement of a text command, I managed to figure out that part of the problem is that somehow, the script branch that's supposed to trigger when enemies are standing on top of each other took effect, and that branch delay's the enemy's death. I assume its death was triggered just as the enemy was humping itself due to using duplicated events to force page changes. I blanked the branch out, on account it's a defunct feature. Sometimes the problem still occurred, though. I'm hoping that turning a switch off in a certain script will fix the issue. But since I can't trigger the glitch on purpose, I won't ever know unless it happens again.

The other glitch baffles me. An enemy's supposed to turn towards the south under a certain circumstance. But sometimes it doesn't. It's not that the script is stopped, as it goes through the commands after just fine. My only thought is that it's an interference with the previous turn commands caused when all movement is interrupted when I swing my sword. But that doesn't make sense to me, because as far as I know, all active scripts on the field pause when the sword is swung, so it shouldn't even reach the next turn command until the script processes resume. Maybe the Wait command doesn't actually pause. What I'll probably have to do is remove one of the turn commands so that there's enough time for the turning to finish before the enemy has to face south. Either that or have that portion of the script run not-simultaneously, so that the Wait command isn't even necessary.

So these setbacks certainly prevented me from getting as far as I'd like. I had hoped to have the level completion mechanics in place. Well, they're partly in place, at least. The "battle loss" script is halfway done, with the animations in place. The next step for that will probably be creating the "Retry" menu. I got less ways into the "battle won" script. I got the leader dying (which needs some work, I think), and the camera changes position. On the plus side, I now know how I want to show the level won stats. Facing the camera up into the empty sky would not have looked good.

I think that's about it. Aside from the pause menu, I hadn't added any sound effects for the new stuff (on account of the radio). But despite the setbacks, I managed to get a lot of stuff done, at least for RPG Maker 2. And looking at those setbacks, I'm glad I had to deal with them on this day. It would've been frustrating trying to spend multiple days on them.

Now the rest of you have to try to find your free day. ;)

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 10:01 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

You know? I've found some straight up mind-screwing glitches in RM1 before. And it always seems to happen when the event limit is reached on any location. Changing ONLY the event to check instead of touch will make it so that event will no longer work. Changing it back to touch will fix it for some reason. But it was something I wanted set to touch, so I'm not too happy about it. It took me FOREVER to find out that was what was going on. I spent forever looking through lines of code trying to figure out what exactly was going on to stop the event, and it turns out to be what makes it run. I kept the conditions the same, and just changed it to touch... weirdest RM1 glitch ever.

Anyway, that sounds awesome. I only hope I'll be able to do the same some time in the future.