Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:11 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

So I came up with the idea of localizing RPG Tsukuru 4 (actually, Dray sort of suggested it some time ago, and insultobot re-suggested it to me yesterday). Valk has sent an email to Agetec and asked them if they would oppose us creating a fan-translation patch for RPG Tsukuru 4.

If they say yes, then I'm going to begin the work of reverse-engineering the software (once I get my copy - I've already ordered a copy of of ebay a few days ago), figuring out how to create a translation patch, and then we'll be starting up the project and looking for people to help with the translation.

I figured that this would be a lot faster & easier than making a community-created RPGM title, and would result in higher quality.

Thutmose's Workshop: Making Things for RPG Maker
Kupid RPG Maker Keyboard: Live Stream

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 2:59 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

This isn't a bad idea. I've actually already got a copy. I don't know any Japanese, but I've been through the menus in RT4 a good bit, so I could maybe help out navigating the options... at least at the very beginning. Also, there are some recorded videos here at the Mag of some of them:

http://www.rpgmmag.com/issues/issue_12/cover_story.php

Also, someone at Gamefaqs has already translated a bit of it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/580224-rpg-t ... faqs/16017

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Lantis wrote:
This isn't a bad idea. I've actually already got a copy. I don't know any Japanese, but I've been through the menus in RT4 a good bit, so I could maybe help out navigating the options... at least at the very beginning. Also, there are some recorded videos here at the Mag of some of them:

http://www.rpgmmag.com/issues/issue_12/cover_story.php

Also, someone at Gamefaqs has already translated a bit of it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/580224-rpg-t ... faqs/16017
Thanks for the links. I'll look at them - it should help me out.

And, once I get started (presuming Agetec doesn't threaten to extradite me or something for doing it) I'll start planning the project out, make some kind of site/wiki for it, and begin recruiting people.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 6:31 pm 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

I talked to you about it already, I might be able to help a little with the translation, if needed.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 6:35 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

myoky wrote:
I talked to you about it already, I might be able to help a little with the translation, if needed.
Yep. I'll be sure to keep you in mind.

I'm getting more and more anxious to get my copy. :P

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 7:50 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Well, looky what I have:

I just got my copy today. I have to get tons of work done for a presentation I'm giving tomorrow at my new place of work. But as soon as I am able, I will get started experimenting and testing out my ideas. Being as I've never done anything remotely like this before, there is a lot to learn.

For the time being, until we hear back from agetec, this will just be a personal project to see if I am capable of, and if the game will allow, the translation of the software's text into English.

If we get the go-ahead from agetec, and my experiments prove fruitful, then I will start looking for people to help me out with the actual translation and we can go from there.

I will post regular updates on my progress as things move along.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 10:47 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I already tried cheating my way into looking at the sample game data's code so I could use a translator and then fix up by looking at context, but it didn't work out so well. I'd be willing to help with the sample game translation, if you can get me a copy of it that's actually showing Japanese and not a garbled mess of text.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 11:08 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Draygone wrote:
I already tried cheating my way into looking at the sample game data's code so I could use a translator and then fix up by looking at context, but it didn't work out so well. I'd be willing to help with the sample game translation, if you can get me a copy of it that's actually showing Japanese and not a garbled mess of text.
You need to get a hex editor with Japanese language support.

When I have the time, I'll post more info.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 9:49 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

So now there are about 4 people within the RPG Making community with Tsukuru 4. That should be saying something to Agetec...

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 7:22 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Special request to anyone who has RPGT4 - please attempt to make an ISO image file of the disc (you could use MagicISO to make the image) and let me know if you are able to (i.e. no errors).

Further - With the disc in your drive, go to MOVIE2>SUMMON2> And try to copy any of the .STR files to your computer hard-drive (i.e. try to copy/paste "S_17.STR" to your desktop).

If you are unable to do any of the above because of error messages or a "Copying File" dialog that hangs indefinitely, please let me know.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 8:12 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

i very highly doubt they will give you permission to patch their game.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 8:14 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Karr Lord of Chaos wrote:
That would be too bad.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 8:26 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 8:38 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Lantis wrote:
Yeah. That's what I thought.

It looks like some kind of copy-protection or unusual formatting issue that prevents the OS from copying the files.

Making a BIN+CUE file results in a good image that works properly, though. Now the issue is trying to figure out how I can modify the files in the BIN image without corrupting the image. Or figure out how to convert it to an ISO that an emulator will run.

Need to experiment more.

Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my disc/comp.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 1:09 am 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Well, looky what I have:

My first translation tests have been successful. Obviously there are some problems with overlapping, but that's mainly because this was quick-n-dirty, and I didn't take much time to make sure things fit.

There are also some spacing issues (namely that the spacing between characters, kerning, was designed for the larger Japanese font, which makes the English characters have a lot of space between them). If I can figure out which part of the program controls character spacing, then it may be possible to modify the spacing, bringing the characters closer together.

My verdict: Translating RPG Tsukuru 4 would take quite a lot of work, but it is definitely doable. If I had some people willing to look at long lists of Japanese words & sentences, and send translations back to me, then I think that this can be done over the course of several months.

But, being as we haven't heard back from agetec yet, I can't get started taking this project full-scale. So.... we wait. And I'll probably continue experimenting. And definitely work on Kupid 2.0.

Maybe in the mean time I'll write up some articles or something that feature the various graphics, movies, animations, etc. to show everyone how awesome RPGT4 is. Any ideas/suggestions for stuff you'd like to see? Sort of like a 2.0 version of the really cool three part article series that Valk wrote?

Seriously. We need RPGT4.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 1:45 am 

Level 0

Quote:

I wanted to contact agetec about it for a few reasons, one of which being that over at agetec's forum, someone did a fan translation of agetec's rejected-by-sony game "Shadow Tower Abyss". Agetec got approval for it before localization, then after they finished it, sony rejected it because the game (which is an RPG) didnt compare well to "other FPS games on the PS2". Anyways, this made a lot of people sad. so the before-mentioned fan-translation started, on agetec's own forum. and you know what happened? Agetec's Mark Johnson posted in the topic, offering their english voice files to the guy doing the translation.

We arent seeking permission, exactly. We want to know if we'd be stepping on their toes. RPG Tsukuru DS just came out in japan, and may be getting an english release (granted, I have heard nothing about RPGTDS from agetec, but it's possible). if there was a fan translation of RPG Tsukuru 4, which is now amazingly going for roughly 20 dollars on ebay, then I am sure that many people in our community would go for RPGT4 and ignore RPGMDS. RPGMDS may be newer, but it cannot compare to RPGT4.

There's also the thing where agetec is very much aware of how much this community wants RPG Tsukuru 4, and they may very well be working on getting it to us in some way. Again, I havent heard anything about the possibility of such a thing. I just know we talked about the articles I did, and the community reaction to them. it's a very small possibility, but it has to be considered. if agetec isnt planning on touching the title, given how Mark was about the STA fan translation, which was of a game that agetec actually has the US rights to, and already dumped tons of money into it's completed but unreleased localization, then I am sure we'll be told it's okay.

Mark also is notoriously slow about replying to e-mails. it could be weeks before I hear back from him. Yes. it sucks. I've dealt with it for ten years. He's an incredibly busy man, it can't be helped.

We could also get no reply at all. which could be seen as either a very good sign, or that Mark doesnt love me any more.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 9:34 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Honestly? I think that if we patched RT4 and RMDS came out, we'd all still get RMDS regardless. I know I would. Besides, 20 bucks is incredibly cheap. And how much are new DS games these days? Both would hardly even be a triple A title in price. And if I played 60 bucks for Final Fantasy XIII, I have no excuse. ^_^

Anyways, I have a friend that speaks Japanese. She studied at college for a number of years, and was a transfer student in Japan for another year. I keep in pretty close contact, so if there are certain things you need translating, I'll be glad to send it to her.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 12:24 pm 

Level 0

Oh, I'm sure we'd still get it too. But it might cause some tension. And do we really want to do this if agetec will have a problem with it? Don't forget that agetec has helped both sites out tremendously in the past. The mag hit the super big time when you got pre-release rpgm3 copies, and being "indirectly" linked in it's manual hasn't hurt things either. Not to mention without them, neither site would ever exist. They deserve our consideration.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 12:53 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Of course not. If Agetec has any kind of issue with this at all, I'd just as easily walk away. I wasn't implying that we do this without their blessing first.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 1:20 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

an attempt is always worth it because the worse they can say is no.

in order to make any kind of translation you would have to decompile their software which few company would be willing to let any non employees do (proprietary). i also dont think rpg4 is dead yet as far as possible releases. sony actively crushed the fan remakes of ct, and roms itself are generally viewed as outlaw.

localizing a game is quite difficult, even for a manufacturer so even if there was permission as far as willingness to not slap a cease and desist order you would still have to overcome that uphill battle. are you versed in japanese words and programing style? you would have to literary rewrite a big majority of the code as you translate, plus compensate for our longer sentences which could require hard coding knowledge of their software (maybe some code isnt compatible with our words?).

im just saying look at this realistically and dont get your hopes too high.