Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:48 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:57 am 
Report this post
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage

Level 0

OK, so I did a lot of work on really deciding what I wanted to make, what I thought was realistic and what I thought might be worthwhile for others to play and I have reached a total of nine games. Without going into the details I would like to say that I feel very good about this list in the sense that I really have control over my ideas now. I let go of things that I thought were holding me back or not quite worthwhile to pursue or include and am comfortable that this is the way to go. This isn't only for the aspect of game creation but also for the aspect of artistic/philosophical expression. I still do not intend to reveal much about these games until they are near ready for release but I do plan on referring to them in the following way: RPGs 1-3, Adventures 1-3, Action 1-3. The RPGs are very large games, the Adventures are medium-large sized to create but much easier to play, the Actions are a little smaller to create and easy to play but will involve much more battling then the Adventures. The Actions are sort of similar to my already released game, "Who did this!" in that they involve some random battling as well as some event battling but require little to no leveling up instead relying on the use of more powerful weapons and healing items like survival-horror games.

Presently I am working on RPG1, Adventure 1, and Actions 1 and 2.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 8:16 am 
Report this post
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

So, nine games is... an improvement?

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:09 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

Well it really is because I had in mind about 16 or 17 only recently and even more before that but I had narrowed it down a while ago by combining some games. Over the last couple of days I put a couple games comfortably on hold which is not easy because I am always tempted to think about starting them which ends up being a major distraction not only to my game making but even to my personal sense of feeling 'set' and worry free. Other games I said goodbye to and cancelled. Now certainly I can always go back and do them but that is only after I have got some of these done or mostly done. The point is that it is all psychological. And these nine games remain cleanly after closure and organization of ideas spread all over the place. They even fit the categories neatly. Plus these nine in particular I have already thought about the most and/or started to some measure so I feel like I am fully on track where I need to be with them.

That having been said I don't expect to get some of these games ever completed or at least not anytime soon but at least they are realistically ready to be worked on and the others are no longer distractions.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 1:33 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

About the games...

I don't usually like to give away too much info until the game is ready. Even then I would rather you try it uninfluenced instead of expecting this or that. At any rate, I thought to keep things more consistent with a typical studio I should probably provide a little more info. I think this will also help to keep me motivated and add a little more structure. So I am going to eventually reveal some things about each of these games but don't be disappointed that I am not going to reveal too much. Again all these games are for RPGM3.

RPG 1-"A Lost Cause"
I'm pretty sure this is the only unreleased game that I have ever revealed the name before. This is the first game that I ever started working on. I actually bought RPGM3 the day it came out (by the way I did the same for RPGM2) but I had to go to a wedding several hours away by train that weekend. I took a short amount of time to look around the editor, get familiar with what characters were available, how they looked, etc. and then had to leave it alone for a few days (!). I, however took the instruction booklet and a notebook with me and started creating this game on the train ride as well as free time over the weekend.

Pros: Loaded with personal meaning, storyline, characters, and magic spells that I love.

Cons: Far too much personal meaning and inside jokes, characters, etc. for it to have any real appeal outside of friends and family. The spells are numerous and perfectly appropriate for a battle heavy RPG where characters level up but the storyline is much smaller in scope and more adventure oriented in many ways so it would require me making you battle unnecessarily far too numerously to be fun or it would lose something if I just gave you too many spells from the start. The biggest con though is that I started building everything well before I knew the best way to go about it and it will take considerable revamping.

Style: There may be many individual features which remind you of other RPGs you have played, either here or professionally. The overall scope and plot however I have never myself seen before and I am eager to put this out there.

Prognosis: My guess is that this game will eventually get released. I have too much connection to it to keep it private. In many ways it is probably like many of your first or early attempts at games. Kind of like a life's work that you have to build but can't seem to finish. I expect this to be one of the last games that I release.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

RPG 2
This game is going to be the haven of much of my metaphysical and theological argumentation. I intend on doing my best to pace this as perfectly as possible and provide the gamer with as deep a philosophical experience as I can.

Pros: If you are interested in philosophy, religion, or contemplation you may very well enjoy this game.

Cons: The pacing will require incredible patience, the storyline will be less straight forward and require far more individual attention from the gamer and thus if these things do not appeal to you, you may not like this game.

Style: This game does not take place in the far east but it reminds me most of Jade Empire in that RPG elements were important but light in for example an ease and consistency in learning new attacks, modify stats permanently and interchanging important accessories on the fly. This game also similarly will put the gamer more in the development of the main character via the immersed qualitative experience rather than the distant nature of merely leveling up based on quantitative experience.

Prognosis: This game is unlikely to be released anytime soon. It may be the last game I ever release. It is subject to being reduced in scope with some elements removed altogether but at this time it is all still in play.

RPG 3
This will be the most traditional type of RPG that I intend make in that there will several playable characters, many enemies, dungeons, spells, items, etc.

Pros: It should be a very fun game to play as well as to make and is straightforward and familiar in style.

Cons: Everything in this game requires very exacting battle/spell/attribute/item balance. This is something that I am quite unfamiliar with and will require considerable effort and luck to get right.

Style: This game is unapologetically influenced by Shadow Hearts. It will not be a Shadow Hearts game per se but it will be very similar in many ways and will likely include some touches of the Shadow Hearts universe. It will be a little darker, a little less tragic, but still absurd enough to keep it where it needs to be.

Prognosis: Is will likely be the first RPG that I release but it will have to wait for most of the other non-RPG games to be completed. I am dying to start it but I know that is really not a good idea right now.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:02 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

Adventure 1

This game is pretty fun to make and I think at least some of you may play it to the end even though it will take awhile for you to complete.

Pros: This game will be light on the RPG elements and much more focused on completing a wide variety of unique and hopefully worthwhile straightforward tasks that are important to the overall storyline. It is the type of adventure that will give you hours of game play but which can be completed little by little whenever you have time.

Cons: It will be much more rewarding to play through the entire game rather than to just sample it a little so some people less inclined to stay in for the long haul may not get much out of it. Also it is based at times on important decision making which will lead to differing outcomes and available tasks but unfortunately does not lend easily to replay. Thus you have to play true to yourself and go with whatever happens. This might frustrate some.

Style: This game is influenced clearly by four professional games but I cannot mention any of them (two in particular) without giving away too much so that is all I will say about that. For those of you who like it, I think you'll get pulled in a little bit but that is OK because as I said it lends well not only to playing hours at a time but even a half hour here or there and it all gets tied in together.

Prognosis: Very good. This is actually the game that I have been working on that led me to start this thread in the first place. If figured out how to incorporate a great deal of ideas that I had into this game very easily and still quite usefully. Plus I have gained momentum in eliminating neat but totally unnecessary ideas or aspects so it has been restructured, reduced in scope and is looking good for now. It will still take some time to complete but I expect it to be the first or second non-Action game I release.

Adventure 2

This game I think will be the most original game that I release and the best from a cost-effective basis for the player. It lends very well to what RPGM3 has to offer in a way that will be very obvious once you play it but maybe not so obviously until then.

Pros: It should have unique interesting tasks, is easy to play, has an appealing edge, and can be completed in its entirety in a reasonable amount of time so many people should have no problem enjoying the full experience.

Cons: If anything it may have only a cult following rather then a mainstream appeal.

Style: I haven't seen any games like this at all. Not that they aren't out there but I haven't seen them. It is however influenced at least in part by one movie that I've seen.

Prognosis: That's tough to say. I feel like I could make this game in a relatively short amount of time but I totally have to be in the right mood so it will not be started yet but will likely be started (but finished shortly thereafter) after I release maybe two games.

Adventure 3

This game started as two separate games but I have figured out a way to happily combine them into one. It it perfectly suited naturally for RPGM3 in just about every way if you take out battles which I will.

Pros: Its familiar to some of the other games that I've seen out there in the community stylistically so I would assume those developers might enjoy this game. It would be easy to play and give you important strategic decisions related to the overall storyline.

Cons: May not have enough to separate it from other RPGM3 adventures to make it worthwhile and presently is conceptually very undeveloped so the end product may be very different from the initial ideas.

Prognosis: This game may not get released both because it may take much too long to make and in the long run may not be much more than mildly interesting to all but a few.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:29 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

All three of the Action games are survival horror-esque in gameplay. That is they are not about leveling up like RPGs nor do they largely bipass battling like Adventure games. Rather they are about gaining better weapons, armor, items, etc. and knowing how to conserve them for the right time.

The "Pros" of all three is that they incorporate at least one gameplay aspect into a relatively traditional survival horror experience in ways that I as a survival-horror fanboy am pretty sure are not out there but would make for great additions to many professional survival horror games.

Action 1
This game is actually sci-fi with some survival horror elements.

Cons: The story and gameplay are better suited toward a bigger game than it is going to be so it might feel a little forced to fit.

Style: It really is very different (as it is not at all an RPG) but in some ways reminds me of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Prognosis: It is the game that I am working on most right now but I am very much in a rut so it will be released (probably next) but my motivation or approach will need to change.

Action 2
This game has two things that I think would be welcome to survival horror, one of which is very suited to RPGM3 the other less so but more important overall.

Cons: The aspect suited to RPGM3 makes me want to make the game much bigger. The aspect less suited makes me want to make the game much different. In the long I feel the experience will be watered down from what it otherwise could be were I to make a larger and or different experience.

Style: The more important feature lends best to a game like Resident Evil. Based on what RPGM3 has to offer it will likely seem more like Silent Hill.

Prognosis: I'll release it eventually. Maybe the second to fourth game from now.

Action 3:
This game does not lend well to RPGM3 but I love the idea so much that I am going to make a small demo of what I would love to see professionally even though it will only get a fraction of the experience across.

Cons: Since it does not lend well to RPGM3 the game is not worth making on a rightfully large scope so it will only be the size of a larger demo.

Style: This game is without a doubt meant to be a new direction for Dino Crisis. It is is so much fan-fiction Dino Crisis that I am calling it "Island Crisis" and rather than having dinosaurs as enemies you have large insects as any RPGM3 developer knows must be the case. The key is that the point of the game is to show in a sketch of my argument as to how great the Dino Crisis games can be again.

Prognosis: I expect to complete this game a few games from now but it will take longer to build than you might think so it may take awhile relative to how short it will be to play. It should be good for at least a late weekend night though.

I would be happy to hear any thoughts or further questions about these games. I hope this helps get you interested.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 10:48 am 
Report this post

Level 0

This should probably be 10 games now. However, lately I have had neither the real world time to work on them nor the interest in really making them. As a matter of fact, lately I have been losing interest in video games in general.

So there are still 10 games planned for now but it is beginning to look like only 3 or 4 will ever get made. We'll see.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 4:56 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

It is pretty clear that lately RPGM3, and even gaming has not really been on my mind. Today I have been doing a general inventory of my interests and I think I will probably go through my list and reduce my list of planned games to maybe 5 from 10 originally.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 1:18 pm 
Report this post

Level 0

OK, there was originally 9 games planned then I added one which I will call "Adventure 4" and from the 10 I have decided that all 3 of the RPGs and Adventure 3 have been suspended. That is to say they may come back, they may not. The main reasons for suspending the RPGs is that they will all take forever and RPG1 "A Lost Cause" has too much personal meaning so it would require a clean up first before taking forever to build from. Adventure 3 is a nice idea but doesn't quite have enough going for it yet to really have any mass appeal.

That leaves Adventures 1, 2, and 4, and Action 1-3. In the real world I don't have time for any of these. I have decided that Action 1 won't be worth making unless I go all out so that will take some real time, and Action 3 will be a short but complex demo so that will take time as well. They are still in but on the back burner.

This leaves Adventures 1, 2, and 4 and Action 2. Here is the plan:

Adventure 1 already has a solid world built to it so what are left are the characters and the events. All of this can be programmed little by little so I plan on actively continuing with this game when I have the chance. As a bonus I am presently interested in its style and content so that is motivation.

As I mention above, Adventure 2 won't take long to make but I really have to be in the right mood to do it, so it sits there and awaits that mood.

Adventure 4 is a new idea for me so I will be thinking about it away from the PS2 and jot down ideas. Only after doing this for awhile will I know whether or no I want to make it a primary game, suspend it, or cancel it. For now it is actively in my mind.

Action 2, oh Action 2! How I want to have the energy to make this game as it is survival horror unlike what I've seen before. It will have to wait until I have time again because it requires a large initial commitment.

In summary, Adventure 2 awaits for the right mood, and Action 2 for when I have a lot of time to initially commit, like a completely free weekend or something. So that leaves it as I will be thinking about Adventure 4 and actively working on Adventure 1. This is the most realistic plan I have ever made. Let's do this.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 8:38 am 
Report this post

Level 0

OK. I'd like to work on my games this weekend. I'm thinking that I might start to publish ideas I don't expect to work on both to just get them out there out of my head/notebook and maybe to create motivation to work on them after all. So this weekend I hope to take a look and be as realistic as possible about what I want to make. If I am so inclined I might post here the ideas this weekend as well but not sure.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 11:24 am 
Report this post
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

It's good that you're cutting down on that massive amount of games. Most of us have a hard enough time making 1 game, let alone multiples.

But yeah, I've definitely written about games that I haven't made yet. Or may not make. At least they're down.

Quick reply