Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:52 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: March 24th, 2006, 5:39 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official update: May 2th 2014

Game stats:

Scenario cards: 18. Currently we are doing initial balancing for 17. Should be finished with both 17 and 18 this month. Still have some optional dungeons to finish as well.

System cards: 1. We've finally finished up creating everything we needed system data for. It was incredibly close and we have very precious few left. What is left, though, will be used on creating more spells or monsters for the game.

DLC: 1. The battle arena DLC was talked about in an easter egg I put in the world map demo back in 2008. Need to make sure all the system data content is present for the release of Arc Arath since the DLC will be using the same system data. Release date for this content hasn't been decided. Access to it requires players to beat the game and have a cleared game save file.

Expected release date: 2015. We won't be having a release date, per say. We've been screwed over by this software far too many times to trust that we'll be able to finish by a set date. But we are fairly confident we can finish it sometime next year.

Offline Website: Mostly finished. The only thing it is missing is a few character portraits that I haven't had commission art done yet. Should probably go over the code as well. I'm not really good at web development, but I'm going to try and make it work. The plan is to still have the offline site bundled with the actual game download.

Advertisment: Unfortunately, we may have lost Lamar Wells since he was picked up by Archie Comics. But luckly, Ninanai who was the artist we used before Lamar is willing to finish up all the work we needed. Even if we can't get all the characters drawn, there will be at least sketches of them. And in bigger news, Rina-chan has done the voice overs for the trailer for the game when we release. I am very excited about this as she's a big name in free-lance voice acting. We also found a composer that would let us use music for our trailer royalty-free. Daniel Yount. Be sure to check out his stuff on Youtube. I'm really excited how well this trailer will turn out, but I'm also a little afraid it over-sells the game.

Publicity:

Here is the latest demo shown live at Magcon 2012 (poor quality):

If you want to see more of the game, you can check out the 2010 Magcon demo or the very outdated update series I made earlier in the game's development.

Arc Arath made the cover of Issue 4.1 You can check it out from the home page or click here.

Play the demo:

Play the Demo from 2009. Thanks so much for the number of downloads already. If you want to see the demo as it was being played at magcon '09, check it out here. (poor quality)

Update history (set in spoiler tags due to length)

5/27/14 We are getting excitingly close to finishing the game. It's been such a long process, but we are too the point where we can test play what could be the final product. There's not a whole lot left as far as balancing goes, so here's hoping that we don't burn ourselves out finishing up the game by playing it over... and over... and over. Next year, guys.

8/12/13 I really do keep forgetting to update the first post. So much has happened. And if you've been keeping up with this thread, you'd be fully aware of it. SK has finally finished the dialog for the game, and I have been blazing a trail through battle balancing. Out of the 18 scenario cards, I am on 6. I started working on battle balancing only a few months ago, so things are going as smoothly as I could have ever hoped for. We're getting close, guys.

5/22/12 I hardly update the first post. But not a lot is worth changing. We've been making slow and steady progress the entire time. Some notable things is that SK and I decided to drop the title name Secret of Everyone: Arc Arath and just refer to the game as Arc Arath. We believe that using a name that rips off another game is a fairly lame joke at best and more of a rip-off than anything else. We want the game to be our own, so we're just calling the game Arc Arath now. Also, I've publicly announced that we'll be releasing DLC for the game. We decided on this in 2008, but have just kind of kept it on the back burners. But now it's official. It will happen. And finally, SK and I were able to get voice actor Rina-chan to voice the narration for the trailer we'll release once the game is complete. We are extremely excited by this. And I hope it'll be something special when we finally put it out.

6/14/11 Holy crap, I am very bad at updates. Well, at least on the first post. The game in nearly finished. Within the next few months we will begin playtesting and battle balancing. I have no idea how long this will take, but it will be done. We are left with only two scenario cards to go. Also, we pretty much adopted Lamar as our artist and are glad to give him a spot in our credits. He's done amazing work. Anyways, for more information, check the current posts of this thread.

4/7/10 The new artwork is up! Check it out! There are copies also in the media thread. Also, more artwork is currently being made... so look forward to that as well.

3/31/10 With Magcon over, I've finally got some good footage of both the game and the offline website. Also, I'll have some new artwork uploaded very soon. The game is progressing... but just a little slower than normal. But yeah, still going.

12/15/09 After neglecting this first post for a while, there's been quite a bit of change lately. That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter. Specially for SK. Once we finish all the dialog for the game... that's it. He's done. Then it all rests on me getting the battle system fleshed out. But when that time comes around, I might actually be able to give a legit and believable release date for the first time ever.

2/15/09 Another video. Slight updates to the offline site again. Other than that, SK is moving and that's going to take a bunch of time from Arc Arath... so the next update might be a little slow in coming.

12/3/08 New video update is here. We've finished all scenarios up to scenario 12. We are looking to get someone to test play what we've got, of which I will share the opinions. Also made some changes to the offline website and walkthrough.

9/23/08 SK's had the game for a while now but has been getting a good chunck of scenario 12 out of the way. I have a few more loose ends to tie up in 11, but all is going well... just not in a timely mannor.

8/2/08 Trying something a little new. Going to start attempting at making video updates. Got a good deal of work on the custom menu finished and will soon be on scenario 12.

4/8/08 Another delay. Instead of being out by the end of 2008, expected time is no set somewhere in the first quarter of 2009. But don't be suprized if it's even past then. I am personally not happy about this and promise you it's not because I'm being lazy and putting it on the back burner.

About the game:

Demo Submition thread for the Arc Arath.

Arc Arath is a traditional RPG for RPG Maker 1. It was first completed early in 2004 by me with a little help along the way. This was my very first game made using RM. By the end of the year Sarah'sKnight said that we could do better. So we started over. So far, the re-make has been in progress for 10 years. With help from a good few people on the side, we hope to bring it exclusively to the Mag sometime in 2015 if everything goes well. To date, this will be the longest game in RM history. It will be 18 memory cards in scenario data alone. The game features a total of 8 switchable party members, several side-quests, and a few optional dungeons. There will be a New Game Plus mode as well.

Along with the game you will get a website that's complete with a full walkthrough of the game as well as character bios, screenshots, and other useful information about the story. It will also contain all the artwork done by all the artists we've had over the years.

After the game's release, keep an eye out for the battle arena DLC for unique items that may help you out if you wish to challenge the Paprika Desert or New Game Plus mode.

Last edited by Lantis on February 15th, 2009, 10:26 pm, edited 37 times in total.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2006, 10:26 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Updated: 340 hours total - Scenario 5 is almost complete...

All dungeons and their puzzles are complete, all that needs to be finished is the direct storyline and the motions for the scenes.

Updated the offline web site. Finished all the character bios. Added info on getting RM1 working on your computer. Also updated the SOE walkthrough up to point.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:26 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Latest update: Sang Yung has officially dropped out. Now it's just Clef, Eagle and myself. That's cool... We three are going out of state at the beginning of summer and all that time will be spent on our game. We are hoping to get at least another 15 blocks of scenario data out of the way then.

Current Scenario: 5
Overall completion: 35%

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 3:36 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Nothing new.... Just waiting on Eagle Vision to finish all the text for the next scene. This could take anywhere from 2 weeks or more. Also worked on making cover art for the game case.

The back cover has since changed due to the coming of printed issue 3.3

But this was the original.

Last edited by Lantis on September 27th, 2006, 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2006, 9:45 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I just wanted to say, I like this topic.

Nice PS cover art, btw. I'm planning on doing the same for my game. :)

PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 9:47 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Thanks Ix. I didn't know if it was going anywhere because I was the only one posting. But that's cool... I can keep this thread for my own record too. I appriciate your input... it lifts the spirit.

---------

Updated offline website: Added the epsxe faq. The layout for the site will be as if this is anybody's first RPGM game, so it might sound kiddy to some.

Also updated character bios and SoE walkthrough.

(This is what I mostly due when Eagle Vision is... slacking... on his work.)

...stupid full time college... and junk

PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 10:13 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

Sorry about the deyaled preview.....I've got college and work to attend to

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 10:50 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I like the cover art. If only you could actually use it to package your game in.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 9:05 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Heh, don't worry about that, 1ce... Eagle Vision is full time college too. You won't believe how long I have to way for him to finish a scene.

Anyway, I appriciate your help. Thanks.

And that cover art I'm planning to print out and put in a jeweled case. Just for kicks and giggles... of course I'm going to burn a copy of the game to put in it.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 3:10 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage

Level 0

And mail it to all of us free of charge?
Aren't you sweet.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2006, 6:08 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Sure and each one will come with 5 $100 bills in them, sent in a gold box. Of course it will be send over night.

All I need from you is 500 dollars, a gold box... and whatever shipping and handling is.

=Þ

As far as updates: I'm working on the walkthrough for the game. Right now it's a more of a flowchart that numerically tells you what will get you to the next part. It's kind of dull, so I might re-write it to more of a traditional FAQ. The only problem with that is I'm afraid of ppl reading too far ahead and killing the story for themselves. Either way, the walkthrough will only be avilable in the offline website that comes with the game.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2006, 10:24 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

The close of Scenario 5 is at hand. Me and Eagle have Clef comming down this weekend to just sit and work on SoE. I think I had Eagle get his lazy butt up and finished most of the dialog for the rest of the scenario 5 scenes... so we can start putting things together. I've already programmed all the dungeons and puzzles so, we are good to go.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2006, 11:13 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Quote:
The only problem with that is I'm afraid of ppl reading too far ahead and killing the story for themselves.
That's kinda a problem with any sort of guide, really. It can't be helped. The most you can do is leave out any story details, such as what the deal with "Scorpion King Boss" is.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: April 7th, 2006, 9:25 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Yea... for that reason I made a flowchart. It's basically looks like:

1. Got to town "whatever"

2. Speak to "whoever"

3. Now you have access to "that place"

...As you can see, it'll save the story, at the cost of being dry and dull. But quality is what's important here. So I guess I'll just buck up and write it traditionally.

Here's another quom I have. When we where writing the story, we divided it up into 7 chapters (kind of like final fantasy tactics, I guess) But the chapters don't line up with the scenarios. In the walkthrough I don't know if I should go by chapters or scenarios... I'm thinking I'll just go by the scenarios but side note which chapter you would be in.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 10:36 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Are the chapters too long for the scenarios?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2006, 9:01 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

yea.... there are only 7 chapters in the game and we think we will be able to finish the game after the 10 scenario. There's really no way around it if we wish to keep the same number of chapters, so we will just have to make do. It really doesn't bother me as much unless it's going to throw off the player on which scenario/chapter they are in.... though it really shouldn't matter in the long run.

Oh, and made my first wall paper for SoE. 800 x 600 Though I have a 1152 x 564...

Last edited by Lantis on September 27th, 2006, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2006, 11:33 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

After you do this, you guys should consider doing commercial games. You certainly seem to have the talent to try. With the possible exception of knoledge of programming code.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 9:02 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I would love nothing more than to do that. As far as knowledge... I have no problem teaching myself. As long as they give me the progams they use and whatnot. It's really a matter of getting someone's attention who is higher up on the gaming industriy's ladder.

From what I hear, the learning curve isn't as bad as you'd think, which gives me more hope than I probably don't need to rely on. But if I have to stick with repairing computers the rest of my life, I can't say that's bad at all... It's fun work.

Heck, I'm on the clock now... (shhhhhhhhhh)

Update: Scenario 5 is (still) almost complete. Eagle needs to get off his lazy but. Feel free to say things to him on this forum because he reads over my shoulder from time to time. Yep, it's HIS fault why it's taking so long. But we are at 14 blocks on scenario 5, so it's going to end very soon. Besides that I'm just working on the walkthrough and messing around with photoshop (seek previous post) =Þ

PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 1:20 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
"The worst pokemon."

Level 0

Looks awesome. Well-done. Shoot, I'd make the purchase if I could.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 1:22 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage
"The worst pokemon."

Level 0

Oh, btw. How did you get the graphic on the PSone disc cover? The girl? Did you take it from an anime, or did you draw and color the graphic yourself?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next