Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:17 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 7:30 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

Finally, the sequel nobody asked for is nearly here!

June is the official kickoff week for Quixotic Productions, where development continues after a rather unproductive May. To kick start (heh) things, Find the Needle in the Haystack 2 has been in development for some time now, and since it's nearing completion, I wanted to announce it.

After the first game, our hero Jamie attained one of the most legendary magonian treasures of all: the Golden Needle. Some time afterward, however, she accidentally left it out in the sun, and it melted into golden goop. Overcome by grief, Jamie has no choice but to go again after the King of Haystacks, and prove her worth to retrieve another one.

This game will include five stages, each unique. The objective is simple; find the needle resting in one of the many haystacks. There are 10 needles in 10 haystacks per level. You have to find them in order. Once you beat one level, you go to the next until you obtain the legendary Golden Needle.

--

This game was my plan to get back into game making. I've been in a slump for RPGMaking for some time now, and I figure one way to combat it was to continue making new stuff. Fortunately, working on FtNitH2 has been an absolute blast! This is so fun to make! So, hone your searching skills, cause we're heading back to the haystack! FtNitH2 will be available by the end of the month!

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 5:54 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Some more work done overall.

The title screen is already set, and the layout is complete. The game consists of five levels to finish. The first level is just like the last game with the same layout. Levels 2 to 4 are interesting variations on the original concept. Level 5 is a beast of a level. There are about 50 haystacks, each of which warps you to a level with 50 haystacks, and you have to find 10 needles in sequential order. So, you have to find one needle in about 2,500 different haystacks. The interesting part is that every haystack will say something different to you. Due to this though, the game won't be finished for some time, as the dialogue is going to take a lot longer to finish than I had anticipated.

What do you get for completing this gargantuan game? One of the most holy items in RPG Maker Mag history....the golden needle. Getting this item is no small feat. After the game has been released, I'll make a new topic on the Quixotic Productions forums congratulating the lucky few who managed to get the coveted Golden Needle. I'll be taking people on their word, however, if they actually do it or not, as I have no way to pick out the real victors from cheaters.

As a way to celebrate this game and the 2 year legacy of the title, the original title will no longer be Mag exclusive, and it'll make it's way to the Pav soon. And in case nobody noticed, the original has been updated to play on PS3 systems. So now you have no excuse not to play it! The sequel will be available for both dexdrive and PSV formats on launch!

Keep your eyes on this one folks!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 10:06 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

The original title is now available at the Pavilion. Yay!

You can play the game with your dexdrive or PS3 at either site! Yay!

I've scrapped the 2500 haystack idea! Yay?

Basically, although I think I have a pretty creative well of ideas to draw from, I have nowhere near enough stamina to cover 2000 lines of interesting dialogue. So I finished up whatever levels that were complete with dialogue, and am using those, cutting out the other 46 levels. Thanks to this, the game will still be set for a late June/early July release.

And don't worry; the game isn't cutting into time with Josh's Adventure. They're being created in unison, so neither really cuts into the other.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

To anyone who was excited and drooling at the mouth to play this highly anticipated blockbuster title, I have some disappointing news. This game is being put on the back burner.

I actually have most of the game quite finished. I haven't play tested it, but it's all there, so it's not that the game is unfinished. I've arranged some different plans for this title, so unfortunately you won't be seeing it for quite some time. Please bear in mind, this is not a cancellation: the game is simply getting shuffled into a new strategy of mine going forward for the continued success of Quixotic Productions.

I'm sorry for all the fans that were eagerly awaiting this game to arrive: I'm afraid it won't be available for quite some time.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2012, 6:09 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Alas, this topic has been quiet, quiet for a very long time. It's time to rip that silence up like an old english essay and talk about this forgotten gem.

However, the news I bring may leave some members in silence, some in sorrow, and some in a deep well of depression. The faint of heart may want to take a seat, because this may come as a shock.

The original plan, back in June 2011, was to have a quickly made game, ready to combat the awful silence of no new releases. It was expected to be released July that year. July passed with no released game. The months have come and gone with no news. At the beginning of the year I mentioned it was on the backburner. Still more time has passed.

I'm sure you may already guess where I'm going with this, so I'll say it outright: Find the Needle in the Haystack 2 has been cancelled.

Now I'm sure some of you are already tearing up, unable to see your screen properly because of welling tears. Please, before you start sending personal messages full of fury and hate and things I can't say because of the swear filter, allow me to explain why I had to do this.

It was about a month ago that I played FtNitH 2 for the first time since I made it. It's a game I had a blast making. Unfortunately, that love of crafting didn't quite translate to a fun game. Although the gameplay was top notch, the 3D effects were unreal, and the story matching easily the likes of professional games, it simply wasn't a game that should be released, because it wasn't FUN. Isn't that the most important aspect in any given game?

I know some people will see this as a sad day, one full of misery and hopelessness. I beg you to see it differently. When God closes a door, he opens a window, and where there is death, there is also life. Quixotic Productions is still here, releasing new games and opening up new possibilities. Unlike other studios I will not let a doomed project sit around with no hope of getting released, but instead take it upon myself to cancel it and move to other, more promising titles. Because when a new game gets released, it's like it carries the hopes and memories of all the old projects that couldn't make it, which make it's release all the more satisfying.

Let us not grieve the past, but look forward to the bright future.