Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:29 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 20th, 2009, 4:30 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

Subtitle: Come near to hear what I say near the end of the year!

So, 2009 is almost up and Christmas is nearly upon us as well. So with that, I thought I'd try and sum up everything that happened this year, what may happen next year, and maybe a little surprise may await you as well. (New game announcement? Read on!)

--

First, we'll start with this question: How was 2009?

This is, easily, the best year I've had in a good long time. Both personally and rpgmaker-wise. I have a new, full time job that pays pretty well, I've got a lot of stuff done, and I've learned many new things that continue to let me grow as a person.

But let's talk rpgmaker, because that's the site we're on, after all. The biggest thing to happen this year was the revelation I had somewhere around the middle of spring. Until then I had basically wandered around with no set focus on how I was going to use rpgmaker, launching big name titles that would change rpgmaker forever and then falling off the edge of the earth forever. What I needed to do this whole time was release a small project game, and then learn from that experience and go from there. It wasn't until Donkey Kong came around that I realized that, since the game was so short, I could give the game a superior amount of focus on designing since I didn't have as much to do.

Following up on my little revelation, Donkey Kong was the other big piece of news that made headlines and changed me this year. On May 13th, the game was released and has since reached both commercial and critical success. A review made on the Pav, written by MRevelle, scored a 9.5 out of 10, and the title currently has 63 downloads on the Mag alone. That's outstanding, considering the game has about one hour of gameplay.

Quixotic Productions released three titles this year, more than any previous year before it combined. The first out of the gate was Find the Needle In the Haystack, a leftover from the scrapped Arcadia Mania game. It's the first game I've made that has custom graphics, a title screen. Donkey Kong followed soon after. The third and probably the most unusual is the Time System Tech Demo V3.1, a tech demo teaching players how to use a custom made time system in rpgmaker 1 games.

Another important feature that started this year are studio updates. There's at least one studio update each month, and they were started for two important reasons. One, is to (obviously) update viewers on the current studio affairs, and it also can be used to inform people of new projects, current situations and other useful information. The other important reason is to have at least one new post every month at minimum. Too many development studios go for months on end without a single update, and when it does come it's only a couple paragraphs long. This is my solution to the problem.

The last feature that made it's appearence this year are retrospects. Although there's only been one for Usuru, I plan to make more of them as time goes on. A retrospect is a topic I'll make two years after a title has been released, and will spill the beans on everything about it.

Other smaller happenings this year include me buying RPG Tsukuru 3 and 4, the cancelling of Arcadia Mania, a test-play video of Donkey Kong made by Draygone, the Pavilion starting to get titles from me, and Arcadia Mania getting a mention in the second issue of the rpgm Digest, the first public appearance of anything I've done on the site.

What can we expect for 2010?

2010 looks to be an exciting year. The big title in development is called Josh's Adventure, which started off as Sourdough Eyeglasses in September 2009. It's a spiritual sequel to Donkey Kong, and promises to be much bigger in scope. I'm currently hoping for a winter 2010 release of this game.

I also have other, smaller games planned in the meantime. This year I'd like to release sequels to my two garbage games: Find the Needle in the Haystack 2, and Don't Move 2. I'm currently making plans to release version 3.2 of the Time System Tech Demo. I'd like to work on something rpg tsukuru 3 or 4 related. There will be a retrospect of Don't Move. And...possibly a new title.

A new title is in planning??

I'm going to try and be careful with what I say, because it's still in the concept stages and I'm only been fiddling with it when not playing Josh's Adventure. But I have been playing around with a new game for some time. What makes this title special? It's my first time trying to make a game on RPGMaker 3. For years I've had people tell me how much they'd like to try my titles, only they haven't got rpgm1. Here's my chance to try and reach out to this audience. I won't say anything more, because I'd like to work on it some more before saying much about it.

So, let's recap:

Released:
Find the Needle in the Haystack
Donkey Kong
Time System Tech Demo V3.1

Would like to release next year:
Josh's Adventure
Don't Move 2
Retrospect for original Don't Move
Find the Needle in the Haystack 2
TSTD V 3.2
At least one original title

And so there you have it! Quixotic Productions wishes you luck, a merry Christmas and a happy new year! WooouHooo!

Usuru?

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!