Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:46 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 5:50 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

Just thought I'd pop in and say the game is steady making more progress.

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 9:24 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Alrighty, time to sound off.

Remember that post in July where I assured everyone the game was going well? Um.....it wasn't. My motivation and drive hit an all time low, and I not only stopped working on the game, but outright stopped coming to the rpgmaker websites. I was fairly sure I was going to drop the project and move on to something else.

For some reason, however, I've lately wanted to wrap up this project. So I've been tackling areas that stopped my progress before, and have made some new headway in development. Last few updates or so, I was working on the Round 2 boss, and I've managed to make good progress there, as well as fixing up previous levels.

I'm planning on working on this game at a more leisurely pace. I have gone from making this game for the site, to making it for myself. So, I'm taking more time to come up with interesting scenarios and enemies for the player to encounter. On the same note, this game won't be available this year. Perhaps next year, I don't simply know. I was overworking myself before, so I need to turn back the dial and start over again.

In a nutshell, don't expect the game anytime soon, but it will get done, someday.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 6:13 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Howdy there.

Just because I haven't been posting here doesn't mean the game isn't being worked on. Quite the opposite, actually. Development is going along fairly well. Progress is being made at a slow but steady rate, and I'm confident the game will be finished and released by next year. Sorry for those fans who wanted to play the game this year. I couldn't make that happen.

I still have much to figure out how I'd like to structure the game, so when that gets squared away, I'll release some final stats for the game, such as memory card count. I'll set down a 'for sure' release date as the game gets closer to completion.

Have a good day!

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 10:16 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

I figure it's about time to throw another update post in here.

Progress has been made. With the exception of the last boss, most of the levels have been made. I'm currently working on reworking the second boss in Round 2 to fit a little better. Although it's already been completed, I didn't really like how it turned out, so I'm redoing the first part of it. And while I've come up with two different designs for the very last boss, I've thrown both of them out and am trying to figure out how I'd like that boss battle to go.

I find myself in this state where I'm near the ending and I'm extremely worried how it's going to turn out. Typically when I'm doing any sort of creative outlet, I never get to this part. I always just stop or whip some ending up really quickly. So I rarely get to this part, and I need to try and stop redesigning things and just go forward with new ideas.

I do have a few ideas I'd like to have at the end of the game, so let's talk about that. New bonus levels will unlock themselves in the 5th extra room card, and you have to finish certain objectives to unlock them in the main game. For example, to unlock one bonus level, you have to find a way to get yourself stuck in a level by breaking the sequence. Another requires you to open a chest by exploiting the system. You'll also get small hints about where to find these.

A new feature I've added to the game is the level select. At the bottom of the hub world, you'll find portals, and as you complete worlds you can warp instantly to any level or boss you've already beaten. It's a nice touch, I think. You can easily revisit your favorite levels or warp to a level to find a secret objective.

Another feature added after you finish the game is the theater. You can watch the intro, middle, ending, and credits, along with new bonus films that are there just for a laugh.

So, I've still got a lot in store for this game. No official word if this will release in 2012, but I'm hopeful!

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 10:20 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

Oh man I thought this was complete lol

I watched the last magcon preview of it and since then some how convinced myself that it was completed. Well, I'm glad you are still working on it as confusing as it was to me at first. When this actually releases, I think this may be worth digging out the dexdrive.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2012, 12:11 am 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Just a small, happy update today.

Over the last couple of days I've really gotten to work on the last boss fight. Unlike most boss fights that take place in one large area, the final one takes place in two medium sized ones. Just when you think the boss is finished, you still have a whole second level to finish! And while the levels still need to be ironed out and details fixed, they're in mostly working order. I'm scripting out the game's ending, and soon will get to work on the post game content, which I hope to have quite a bit available.

I can say for certain the game will come out this year. That's got me super excited, and I hope it gets you pumped up too. This game will be available very soon for your RPG Maker 1 playing pleasure.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 9:26 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

I've made new progress on the game. It's going well, although I still have a lot to do. But hey, the finish line is finally in sight!

I've also updated the wiki for the game, something I haven't gotten around to doing in a while. Here's a list of some of the more noteworthy changes.

Game Features

-The latest game from the award winning Quixotic Productions
-Dexdrive and PS3 saves on launch day.
-7 worlds to explore, 1 hidden, over 30 levels to play!
-Well written, funny dialogue that will make you bust a gut!
-Unique, unforgettable bosses.
-Level Select. Play your favorite levels on demand.
-Show off your high score with points, and be ashamed of your death counter!
-Bonus World after the game! Movies, extra levels, and barrels!

Extras
In addition to the above mentioned, the game will ship out with more than just the game. Check out the extra stuff you'll get when you download the game!

-The game itself! Dexdrive and PS3 saves! New plastic smell!
-Extensive Readme Instruction Book
-Production Notes
-Production Sketches
-Strategy Guide

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 11:13 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

So, hello there! I far prefer to update every few weeks as opposed to every few months. Just sayin'!

Typically weekends tend to be best for me when making games. Gives me the whole day to just mess around.

Anyway, more progress has been made. Big surprise right? On the Bonus Card there are several things you can buy, one of them being a haystack. Upon buying and touching said haystack, you'll enter a haystack world, and play a level very similiar to Find the Needle in the Haystack. Instead of 60-80 haystacks however, Josh only has to search about 40 of them, and each one gives the player a witty response. One of them has a prize.....a winding key!

Wait...what good is a winding key? Well....head back to a room with a music box, and you'll be able to play music! Real, honest to goodness music, like Ode to Joy, Jingle Bells and more. I didn't really think custom music creation was possible on RPG Maker 1, but with a lot of experimentation, I found it is possible. The result is something I'm very proud of.

I've also started writing the readme file. Even though I'm sure no one will really read it, I'm trying to put as much helpful stuff in there I can.

If I can keep this going, I'd love to hit a June release. Even then, this game will come out this year, that much I can promise.

So, things are looking good here. Hope you guys are having fun too.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

I've got something really exciting to share with you today. I've pinned down a release date for Josh's Adventure (it was tough to catch, lemme tell ya). You'll finally be able to play this fun new RPG Maker 1 game on June 24th, 2012. Check your calendars and get psyched. It's nearly finished.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 8:55 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Production has been great for JA. Yesterday I finished up some secret levels, and today I'm working on the last one.

Before I start talking about the game, I loved Magcon 2012. After watching the various games, I was really sad I didn't submit anything. It was more pratical to just keep working on it though, since I have nothing left I'd like to show, and the game is almost finished anyway. Anyhoo, let's talk about some new game features.

After finishing the game, you'll get to the Bonus Room. Among other things like watching previously seen cutscenes or buying silly little items, you can try your hand at the Challenge levels, which I've already explained before. After beating those levels, you can buy a new item, the E. Ladder (Emergency Ladder), and with this you can unlock four more secret levels. While these levels aren't really that difficult, you have no lives and have to start from the beginning if you take a hit.

When you beat all the secret levels, you get the game's ultimate item: SECRET. The SECRET item does many different things. In some levels it adds new obstacles, adds or removes enemies, creates new dialogue and even adds new levels. This gives the player an extra incentive to play through the entire game again to see what's been changed, as a little thank you to the gamers who completely beat the game. And if you don't like the changes, you can store the SECRET away and play the game normally.

So the game's coming along nicely for it's June 24th release date. Won't you please join me when it's finished, and shout a hearty hurray while playing the game?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 10:21 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

wow that's a lot of post game content!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 1:36 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

How did you come up with the June 24 release date?

I think the secret item is a good way to add replay value to the game. Good job.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 4:48 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
How did you come up with the June 24 release date?

I've done some number crunching and looked at how long it takes to make levels on average. A world itself (no boss) takes about a month. With a few extra levels thrown in, that may take 1.5 to 2 months. That'd leave me with a month for playtesting, advertising, and anything else I might need.

Plus, June is one of my favorite months. :D

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Sounds good. Good luck on finishing it up.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 5:40 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage

Level 23

Dude! (Ice)

You are the undisputed KING of bonus game content! I'd never be able to dream up that much extra stuff. My hat is off.

You go, dude.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2012, 9:37 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

So, about two months to go!

Here's what we're looking at: the extra levels are complete, the SECRET ending is set, and somewhat playtested. From now till May 24th, I'll add new stuff thsat could only be found with SECRET, and levels that only can be uncovered with SECRET. The readme is finished, the production notes is about halfway done, and I still need to start on the strategy guide. On May 24th I will be cutting myself off from adding any new content, and will focus exclusively on getting the entire game playested.

Almost two months until it's done! I have so much to do and feel like I have so little time!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2012, 1:20 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Okay! After a bit more work today, I'll have the game completely finished. I just need to tie up some levels warps and the credits. I wanted to have everything done by the 24th this month, so I'm right on schedule for the June 24th deadline. May 24 is the final day I'll add anything to the game, and then I'll lock it down to just making changes. Between May 24th and June 24th will be playtesting and debugging. This is the home stretch, I'm so freakin' excited.

Oh, almost forgot! Playtesters! Do you want to playtest this game? I'll warn you now that there is a strict time limit since the game is quickly nearing it's release date. If you have video capture software, I really want you to use it! Send me a pm if you're interested in giving the game a whirl.

I'm also confirming that the will be DLC after the game is released! Unfortunately I can't add anything more than that, since I'm still planning most of it out. The only thing I can confirm is there will be only one DLC pack.

The game is almost here! Here's some random near-final stats to you to chew on. See you next month!

Hours logged in: 352
System data: 10 blocks
Scenario 1 data: 12 blocks
Scenario 2 data: 13 blocks
Bonus Roon data: 10 blocks

Total levels: 40
Total bosses: 7

PostPosted: June 10th, 2012, 12:17 am 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Hey there! Still with me?

I would've liked to post something earlier, but I've been so f'in busy lately I haven't any time to myself.

Most of that is Josh's Adventure! Who would've guessed? My usual schedule is working on the game just on weekends. Lately I've been doing something related to JA almost every day. Fortunately it's all paying off, as things are getting done. Round 1 and Round 2 have been playtested, the commentary and readme are finished, and the title screen is almost done. There's still more to be done, like writing up a quick strategy guide and....more playtesting. Ugh.

But there's one thing I could use another volunteer for: Screenshots! I'd like some new ones! I have some, but they're from the ancient 2009 build when the project was just starting out. Bleh. So, do you have an epsxe emulator and want to help out this project? Shoot me a pm if you do!

One thing I'd like to just say: It was right around when I was playtesting the final battle and the ending was rolling; I'm so happy with how this game has turned out. I had to fight for it, much blood, sweat and tears were shed, many sacrifices were made just for the game to come out finished. I can say without any doubt that it was so worth it. Keep working on your projects guys, because there is a happy ending to your game, but only if you fight for it.

Uh....where was I? Oh yeah! Time to get back to work. The game's just two weeks away folks, and feedback from my playtesters are calling this one a sure fire winner. But don't take their word for it: try it yourself when it comes out the 24th!

PostPosted: June 17th, 2012, 8:49 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

It's almost here. Soon, you'll be able to play Josh's Adventure in all it's glory!

....But until then, you've got to wait. Playtesting, quality checks, boring stuff. Why can't it come out sooner?

Fortunately, I've got some screenshots to help tide you over until next Sunday, courtesy of insultobot! Check the spoiler tag for the good stuff.

That's where this whole thing got started.

Level 1! What you can't see is how much the level has shrunk since last time.

Jump, man!

...Excellent observational skills, as always.

Who knew the game would turn into Ocarina of Time shortly after the beginning?

One of many puns you'll find in the game.

The bridge extending sequence. Hard to code, fun to play.

Uhh....that wasn't supposed to happen.

Hope you guys are getting pumped! The 24th can't come soon enough!

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 10:01 am 
Keep it cool

Level 13

So after nearly three years in development, Josh's Adventure is finally finished. It's available now. Please play it and enjoy it. Thank you to everyone who made it possible.

A big thank you to Brandon, at Meteor Inc. Along with general feedback during
all phases of development, he also helped playtest the game and was a huge
motivational boost when the game's future looked bleak. Thank you Brandon.
You really helped me out.

Thanks to the Magcon group of 2010 and 2011. With your collective help, the
game was able to undergo some serious field testing, and I loved the
suggestions you guys made to make the game better. Please continue doing
what you're doing.

Thank you to Nova, who playtested the game and gave it a through review. I'm glad I didn't have to playtest this alone. Best of luck with your own
development projects!

Thanks to Valkysas, who always helped me with any PS3 questions I had, and
gave the game a little extra promotion at the Pavilion.

Thank you insultobot, for your last minute screenshots! I'm thankful you were
able to help me out at such short notice.

Thank you to the following for posting in the JA development topic and
giving feedback and support:
Wavelength
Pagerron
Draygone
Ixzion
Valkysas
Obright
Bonanza

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next