Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:34 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 15th, 2009, 4:35 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

The newest Game from Quixotic Productions!

Title: Sourdough Eyeglasses
Platform: RPGM1
Genre: Platformer

I originally wanted to make an original game for RPG Tsukuru 3, but decided upon this project so the community has something to play before I make a string of games few can play.

The sourdough eyeglasses are said to be a mystical item, hidden away from all. The sourdough eyeglasses are made out of sourdough bread, with an unknown clear substance for the lenses (some stories say the lenses are made of cinnamon). Rumor has it that whomever wears the sordough eyeglasses will be gifted with incredible powers, such as being able to know the exact ingrediants needed for a recipe, and be able to see the correct amount of liquid without using a measuring cup. A person could theortically become a god among chefs with these glasses, and possibly become the best culinary artist of all time. However, these are all but rumors...

Until now. Wandering into a cave and slipping through a warphole, you have a chance of obtaining the legendary sourdough eyeglasses. But can you fight through the 8 different levels to get them?

I came up with the idea randomly. I was thinking of sourdough bread, and also glasses. So, in a move of sheer brilliance, I decided to combine the two! I put the idea into a platformer, because I felt that there was still room to grow in Donkey Kong, that certain aspects of the game could be improved upon.

Here's a bulletpoint of some facts of the title:

-Built from scratch.
Many of my titles I release are reworkings of things I have already done. FtNitH and Donkey Kong were re-convertions of what was made from Arcadia Mania, and the Time System Tech Demo was an old, incomplete demo on my computer. I'm starting from scratch with this title, which is something I haven't done in a while.

-Spiritual sequel of Donkey Kong.
While the title is being made from the ground up, the game will be using the same gameplay features found in Donkey Kong and will expand on some ideas there, as well as incorporating new ideas. So while you'll still only be able to jump in certain locations, some spots allow you to control where you jump, or give you higher jumps.

Here's some stuff I have planned for the game:

-8 worlds with 8 levels, plus 2 hidden worlds.

-Three difficulty levels, with the possibility of a fourth.

-Upgradeable items, such as suits allowing you to go underwater or access new areas of old levels.

-A hubworld with a jukebox that allows you to change the music in that area and stay changed, even when you leave.

-Custom graphics

I hope this gets you excited for the new title, and hopefully this can be finished by the end of the year. Please post any comments you may have.

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 9:12 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Admittely not much work has been done since I posted my game announcement. Starting from scratch means I have to figure out a lot of new things, like level design and structure. The latter has been puzzling me for some time and I may have found a solution to it.

The game is played over 8 worlds. There's a hubworld that connects all of these together. You can gain access to them by talking to a guard, who will let you through to all of them. Here's there to determine ahead of time which difficulty you'll play when you unlock that feature. You then walk past him and have access to different worlds, and must go through them in order the first time around. From there you enter a warp for which world you'd like to visit, and then choose a level.

This may not sound very important, but it's vital to lay down good groundwork before you start making any sort of game.

Hopefully there will be more to report next post.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2009, 5:57 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Well, I've been feeling a lot better (I've been sick over the last couple days), and Ive had some time to think about lots of things. This game is one of them.

If you've been keeping up with my continuous onslaught of posts this year, you'd know I've taken a new direction in making games, with smaller and more focused development. The thing you may not know is that I had originally planned to make a "platforming trilogy" of platforming games, each one-upping the other. Donkey Kong is the first game, Sourdough Eyeglasses was the second, and an unnamed arcade game was the third. But there were problems with this system.

The biggest obstacle I had was trying to hold myself back from using the best ideas in SE. Keep the really fun stuff in the third game. But wouldn't that leave SE with not as much fun? That's what bothered me for so long, and I only recently figured out. Besides, SE also had nearly nothing made for it besides the ending, which is bad game design.

So, if you're still waiting for the punch line, here it is. I'm cancelling Sourdough Eyeglasses. Instead of SE, there will be a new platforming game replacing it, with (I think is) a better storyline and all the good stuff. SE is just the fat, so it gets trimmed off.

I'll be announcing Donkey Kong's spiritual sequel in a couple of days.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2009, 10:17 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Yeah, the only reason you should hold back with any game is because of memory constraints, and with RPGM1, that's hardly an excuse.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."