Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:47 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 8:33 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Keep it cool

Level 13

So, did you folks who played Josh's Adventure like it? After a few months of silence, I'm finally ready to start dishing out details for the game's DLC!

Roseanne's Adventure!

While cleaning up the arcade after hours, Roseanne hears a loud snap in the corner of the arcade. She rushes over and is more than a little surprised to see her classmate Josh, slumped next to an arcade game and not moving! She attempts to grab his shoulder and shake him, but she doesn't realize one tiny detail; Josh's body is still touching the electric wire, and his body is brimming with electricity! Needless to say, she gets more than a little shock. She finds herself in a similiar situation to our previous hero: knocked out cold, heart still beating, with a creepily smirking Grim Reaper offering her a second chance if she plays his little game. It's another chance for life, adventure, and wacky puns!

Roseanne's Adventure (RM) will feature two brand new worlds to play, with two unique new bosses at the end. But that's not the only new bag of tricks this DLC offers! Not only can you choose which of the two worlds you'd like to tackle first, you'll also change the game depending which one you complete. If you play World 1 first, certain things will change in World 2, making the levels easier or harder, and vice versa.

After completing both worlds, you'll unlock more extras, such as new cutscenes, items, and redesigned levels. You can also switch back to JA whenever you'd like, and carry over your items and tokens.

Now since this is DLC, you'll need to play and finish Josh's Adventure before you can play this. I'm currently in the process of making sure the transfer is smooth as can be, but there will need to be a system update before this will work on the current version of JA. I'll include a readme to help players get things working.

If everything goes well, I'd also like to update the original Josh's Adventure. There were a few things I'd like to fix that weren't touched upon due to a looming deadline. But we'll see how it goes.

Whew, I think I may have said too much for the first post. But I'll update soon, and hopefully you're looking forward to it!

My studio is Quixotic Productions! Check it!

PostPosted: September 18th, 2012, 12:41 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I really like the concept of some DLC for an already-completed game. And the hook that she touches Josh while he's on the wire is hilarious.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 1:14 am 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Sorry it's been a while since my initial post, but I've been moving, and that takes way too much time. But progress is being made, which is always good.

The first of two worlds is called "Facticity", a combination of factory and electricity. No points if you've figured out the world theme. This world is about manipulating objects to block enemies or get past groups of baddies. I never really got to play around with that concept in the main game, so I'm glad to give it a chance. Although, you might not figure that out upon entering this particular world. F-1 Loopy Lights has the entire screen go black save for Roseanne; after a few steps it will turn on or off. You've got to time yourself and figure out when the lights will go out and avoid the nasty obstacles in your way.

So, not much to report right now. There's still quite a bit of stuff like characters and bosses I really need to figure out. But I'll get there eventually, and I'll post another update when I can.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 9:24 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

Today I posted in whataface's Sword of Vengeance Revival topic, and I whipped myself into a frenzy to work more on my own game. I got a lot done!

Like I mentioned in my last post, the Facticity level is about enemy manipulation, and F-2: Switcher really gets the ball rolling. In this level, switches cause pairs of rocks to either move left or right. Depending on their position, you can open/close passageways and more importantly, block off enemies allowing you safer passage. You can get groups of enemies stuck together and take a different route, or seperate them and choose the easier path. I'm somewhat surprised how well this level came together. It was easy to make, fun, and sits a little over 1000 blocks of memory, which amazes me in comparison to how hoggish I can be with the memory.

While it may be early, I'd ideally like to have this project done by September 2013. Mind you, that really depends how smoothly the boss fights go and how many I put in. They take a long time to make, program, and edit. They also tend to be the favorite part of the game, so getting them just right is SO important.

But I'm kinda rambling. So, Sept 2013 is my rough guesstimate of when I'd like it to be released. I don't have any qualms about pushing that back though, and I'm guessing it will be. But it gives me something to shoot for. Until next time!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

So let's be honest here....I haven't worked on this in awhile. It can be tricky getting motivated and brainstorming new ideas lately, and y'know, life changes. I will, however, post what I've done up till now, because a new level was finished after a lot of work.

It's called F-3: Easy In..., and it involves cables run through the whole level. At the beginning past a locked door is the level exit, and at the end is a generator. Turn it on, and voila!, the door opens. But now the once harmless wires you crossed over have electricity going through them, and enemies won't pass over them either. It's easy going in, but hard coming out. Can you make it through without getting shocked?

This one took quite a while, since there are so many events scattered about. I have this annoying tendency of hitting the event limit and having on cut back my ideas for many levels. Plus, with two different ways the level changes means more things that can go horribly wrong, heh. It's all nice and playtested now though.

No, my problem right now is inspiration. I just haven't felt like working on this lately. For JA after a certain point there's no turning back, and I'm starting to realize just how difficult it can be to stick with projects when they just start out. There's just not much there to keep you pinned to the project.

But this is just part of the developemtn process. You have high periods where you get tons of work done and low ones where you do nothing. Once I get out of this low period, I'll post some more progress.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2012, 9:46 pm 
Keep it cool

Level 13

I have some sad news to report today. Roseanne's Adventure is being cancelled.

I really would like to finish it. Unfortunately, making games is a very time consuming affair and one that takes a lot of patience, effort and time to create. These days I just don't have any of those qualities. I've recently moved into my own place, and I simply don't have the time to work on this.

I'm sorry if anyone was looking forward to this.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2012, 9:49 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Mongolian Chop Squad

Level 63

Congrats on the new place. But I was looking forward to RA.

I was planning a proper LP of JA and RA. Not that poorly recorded, impromptu one we did. Although I had fun doing the first one, I felt it deserved a real chance at an LP.

Hopefully, you will find some time as things settle.