Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:43 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 4:14 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 0

I'm surprised there isn't any guide or info on how to use this after the translation. Does anybody know how to do anything in RPGT4? Any tips?

What I really want to know is how to trigger Events automatically, without requiring player interaction. Whether it's based on a timer, countdown or any condition we can specify.

I saw a review saying there aren't any Vehicles in this maker. That's not true. There is an Event Command for Vehicles and they vary from a simple modern car to Ships to weird stuff and even airships. When it's activated, the camera goes all "Mode 7" too. That said, I don't think we can use those sprites as models for anything else (NPC/players/etc).

Under the "Choice" Event Command (Command No.4) there are a few options but what does "Counter0?" do? How do I use it?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 5:05 pm 
Rank 8: Adept Fighter Rank 8: Adept Fighter

Level 73

Metastase wrote:
I'm surprised there isn't any guide or info on how to use this after the translation. Does anybody know how to do anything in RPGT4? Any tips?

What I really want to know is how to trigger Events automatically, without requiring player interaction. Whether it's based on a timer, countdown or any condition we can specify.

I saw a review saying there aren't any Vehicles in this maker. That's not true. There is an Event Command for Vehicles and they vary from a simple modern car to Ships to weird stuff and even airships. When it's activated, the camera goes all "Mode 7" too. That said, I don't think we can use those sprites as models for anything else (NPC/players/etc).

Under the "Choice" Event Command (Command No.4) there are a few options but what does "Counter0?" do? How do I use it?

This is actually pretty coincidental; Thutmose (the creator of the WIP translation) and I were working on some documentation for RPGT4 a few weeks ago.

The work I've done is not finished by a long shot, but you can find it here

As for your question about the Counter0 command under Choice, this is actually something that took us almost an entire night of testing to figure out.

Basically, Counter0 interacts with the Timer event (I believe it's near the end of the list, number 30 - something). Timer will display a clock timer on the screen when activated, and will begin to count down to 0. The Counter0 allows you to set different event commands depending on whether or not the currently activated timer has reached 0:00:00. Basically, because everything was machine translated for the most part, there was a mistranslation between "Timer" and "Counter"

I'm going to try to keep updating that documentation in the future, the main thing I want to do next is document each of the different event commands, their subcommands, and what they all do, but I foresee that taking quite a bit of time.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 3:39 pm 

Level 0

Thx for the doc.

I still don't get how to use Counter0. Do I set this command before or after the Timer command? Or do I need to insert the Timer inside Counter0?

For those wondering, I've managed to create an infinite real time loop (that doesn't interrupt the player) that allows you to activate whatever you want (conditions, set variable values, etc). All that's needed is 2 Events with Timer>whatever effect you want>Take Over to the other Event with timer.

And more questions:

- Any way to make the Timer invisible?
- Any way to make the Timer work inside a Vehicle/Ship? Why the hell it stops in the 1st place? This totally ruined my auto-activation loop for no good reason!
- Any way to turn automatic Ship landing on walkable tiles OFF while keeping collision/bump?
- Any way to force that Mode 7 effect without a Ship?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 10:24 pm 

Level 73

There's a lot of event interactions that I haven't looked at yet, and that specifically is why I haven't documented each event command as of yet.

The way I was able to get Timer and Counter0 to interact was as follows:

• I made two events (Event 1 & Event 2)
  • Event 1 was given the Timer command on activate
  • Event 2 was given the Counter0 command
  • The Counter0 command should give you three separate entries in the command list
  • The first command is some Japanese text (It says Counter-0 2 Choices [OK]) This is where you put whatever you want to happen if Event 2 is activated when the counter is at 0:00:00
  • The second command is [Not?], this is where you put whatever you want to happen if Event 2 is activated and the current timer is still running.
  • The third command is [After], this is the same as all of the other choice types, everything after this command does not interact with the Counter0 command.
  • In test play, activating the timer, and then interacting with Event 2 should produce different results depending on the state of the timer.

If there is no Timer activated and you attempt to activate an event with Counter0 in it, at least in my experience, it seems to lock up the game.

It's easy to see how it works if your put two different simple test commands under the [OK] and [Not?] commands in Counter0.

I have no idea about how the events interact with vehicular movement or anything like that, as I have not tested it myself. For all that RPGT4 does right, there's actually a lot of drawbacks to it as well, just like RPG Maker.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 9:31 pm 

Level 0

Sure, but Variables and Timer are too good to ignore compared to RM1.

Do you know if it's possible to toggle Walkability on each Tile? If not, can this be controlled via Layers?

Speaking of Layers, any info on it? I see its options under Events/Dungeon are:

1:2
2:1
1:*
*:2

I know how Layer works on PC makers but I'm not sure what they mean here. I mean, is Layer 2 supposed to be "under"? Does this affects the walkability of tiles in any way or just their GFX sobreposition?

These options aren't available under Map>Field tab either, only under Events and Dungeon?

In RM1, we could use Object39/color3 to make any Tile walkable and an imported invisible sprite to make any tile unwalkable. Any way to do something like this in RPGT4?

If there is a way to do this, I can overcome RPGT4 Vehicle/Ship drawbacks via a custom Ship sprite (provided I figure out how to do it via the JP CD2 Anime Maker, that is).

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 11:50 am 

Level 73

In general, any tile placed in Layer 2 will be "above" the player, i.e. the player, and all other sprites in layer 1 will appear and/or move underneath layer 2 tiles.

When editing maps, the different layer editing modes are explained as follows:

1:2 - Means any tiles you place will be on layer 1, but you can see both layer 1 and 2

2:1 - The opposite, any tiles are placed on layer 2, but you can see both layers

1:* - Means you are editing layer 1 exclusively, and any layer 2 tiles are made invisible

*:2 - This is the same as 1:* but for layer 2.

It should be noted that each tile has it's own walkability settings that are independent of which layer they're on. For example, large tree sprites in general, their leaves can be walked behind, even if they are placed on layer 1, which is supposed to be "under" the player.

I imagine that you could make an unwalkable tile in RPGT4 the same way that you could in RM1. Just use an event with an invisible sprite and it should do the same thing, though there may be another, easier method which I don't know about.

1) Statement 2 is true
2) Statement 1 is false

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 12:18 pm 

Level 0

But shouldn't those tiles like Trees be the exception instead of the norm?

I mean, bridge tiles wouldn't even work if their walkability was independent of Layer right?

From what you just said, and assuming this is indeed the case, I suppose I can use Layer 2 as my "main Layer" and construct the map by using Layer 1 for tiles that I specifically need the player to walk on even though he shouldn't. Like Water tiles (as a custom imported Ship GFX replacing the main character).

Also, the Pavillion article on RPGT4 mentions there is only 1 unified Tileset used for all maps. I've noticed that doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently, you're forced to choose a map type when creating and that's what determines which specific tileset you'll be stuck with. Is this really the case or is there a way to actually use swap tilesets to use in 1 map?

The irony of this is that although I'm trying to create a game that is mostly a World Map type, but since it's not possible to use Layers on this particular type of map AND the world map tileset aren't available in dungeon mode, I can't use perfect things like miniature of towns/etc in my game. How stupid is that? LOL

Now that I'm thinking about it, how am I going to place the player's starting point on Layer 2 if there shouldn't be any tiles covering the IMG of Layer 1's Water Tiles?