Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:44 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 11:25 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I now know how I want to handle the pause menu.

...Yeah, I can't really be specific about what I'm doing with Dungeon Crawled, on account I want no expectations given before MagCon. I'd much rather not post anything at all, but Ix's version of the Power Progress Month sorta requires it. Not that I need a special month to work on my game. This activity list of mine ensures I work on it weekly, anyway. I worked on it last Tuesday, and I'll work on it some more next Tuesday, at the latest. I still plan on doing my version, and see how much work it's possible to get done in a single day.

After MagCon, I'll finally be able to talk about it in more detail. I think I'll try doing what Damien's been doing, and work on it live on a video stream. Until then, expect a continued onslaught of vague updates.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 12:02 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Today I was doing my power progress day. I had already done two hours of work, got a good ways in to making a pause menu. And then I get called in to work. Tonight was the best free night I had this week; I can't do it tomorrow, because I've got the next episode of my LP to edit. So Thursday is my next best opportunity, though I'm in between work days on that day so I don't know whether I'll want to relax, instead.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 3:03 am 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

setbacks happen, just do what you need to and come back to it later.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2010, 9:20 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

Quote:
So Thursday is my next best opportunity, though I'm in between work days on that day so I don't know whether I'll want to relax, instead.

Just do what you want to, Dray. Relax if it helps when working so much. We can wait for your game, you know. ^_^

PostPosted: February 10th, 2010, 11:34 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Oh, it's not that I wouldn't work on it at all. In fact, I didn't come up with Power Progress Month to encourage making progress. I created it as a fun challenge, to see how much progress it's possible to make in a single day.

So, to add insult to intury, they didn't actually need me that night. It turns out the guy I was supposed to cover for managed to show up, after all. But they didn't send me back home.

To make up for it, I was given tonight off, which means I could do my progress day, yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8529&p=124975#p124975

Now I have to get that LP done before tomorrow morning. Least I have time, now.... maybe.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 8:02 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Didn't get as much done. Actually, I question if I got anything done.

The glitch where enemies randomly die when they're not the ones being attacked still persists. Now I'm seeing what resetting the event coordinates when they've served their purpose does. I really don't see why they'd have an issue. Their death pages can't activate until after checking their own coordinates and comparing it to the player's, and the player's is aready obtained by the time the sword finishes swinging.

Also did a concept of what the high score board might possibly look like. Decided on a format, at least. I'll figure out the style, later.

At this rate, I doubt I'll actually have anything playable for MagCon. Mostly will likely be a tech demo, and a short one, at that. Thankfully, I didn't actually promise anything playable. :P

PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 8:53 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Why is it that when I strike one enemy, sometimes another enemy will randomly die with it? It just doesn't make sense. It can't even enter the branch that says "Yes, you can die" unless the player's and the enemy's X-coordinates are the same. The only thing that does work is it's never an enemy that's sitting in a row too far from the attack's range. Ugh, if only I could get it to trigger on purpose, I'd be able to better figure out what's going on with the scripts. And even if I do fix it, I won't ever know until months later when I suddenly realize "Oh, you know what? I haven't had that glitch that makes an enemy randomly die in a long time. Whatever it was I did last time must've fixed it."

*sigh*

Anyway, I'll be working on this up until I leave for work, so I won't post any actual progress (if any... stupid glitch) until tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 11:04 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

In battle? Or the enemy event outside of battle... I'm assuming out. And yeah, there are some really weird things with events when you get too many going in one place. I had drastically different results with a single event from just changing it from touch to check.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Reminder: This is Dungeon Crawled on RPGM2 I speak of.

Oddly enough, I seem to have a lot of trouble recalling the name of this game for some reason...

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 10:20 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Ah, well I can't help you there. =/

Isn't code funny?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2010, 9:56 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

My hunch was right. Thanks to some helpful use of color-changing commands and resized graphics, I saw when it was that the enemies would die, and it was just as they were resetting themselves to perform another action. It still doesn't make a lick of sense, because the moment it does, it should compare its position with the player's. I wish there were more avid RPGM2 users in here. Then I could post the script and see if anybody can figure out why it gets confused. Of course, being what it is, it's definately a glitch that requires perfect timing to initiate.

For now, I gave it a temporary fix. When it resets, I have it reset a little higher than its original position, and if it's not at ground elevation when it tries to die, it's told not to. Which works fine for this game, but if/when I do Jester's Hunt 2, the varying ground elevation in it will make the tactic rather unfeasible.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2010, 11:48 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I think I've almost got the basic mechanics down.

...Wonder how many times I've said that. :P Seems like every time I've completed one step, I figure that there aren't that many steps left. And that's probably true, but every step seems to take forever. At this point I've got three steps to go. The easiest will be getting the music in place.... supposedly. I've never worked with RPGM2's fade in/out feature, which is a little more complicated than you RPGM1 users might expect, so I'm probably going to wind up doing a lot of tinkering getting it to fade in just the right way.

Another thing I've got to get down is the win animation that's supposed to play at the end of a level. I've got it partway down, but I've gotta create the VFX for it, and I need to figure out what sound effect to play when the demon dies at the end. I had one sound effect in mind, but as it turns out, RPGM2 doesn't provide the sound effect I'm looking for, so I'm being forced to improvise. That's proving a lot harder than it should be.

The final step, I have my doubts whether will be ready in time. It's just the screen that shows your current total score, but I still gotta come up with a design for it.

With that said, don't let me forget to bring the memory cards. Especially since three of those memory cards will be containing 1ce's game and MRevelle's game. ;) (And Lantis, don't forget to bring RPGM2... which I wasn't even aware you had.)