Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:30 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 4:36 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

And in multiple ways, too. You see, I've been working on [game which shall not be mentioned by name] pretty much all night long. Starting off...

My system data has bumped up to 7 blocks on my system card!

My scenario data, previously at 14 blocks for the past several months, is now at a whopping 15 blocks, filling my entire scenario card!

I have now been working on SR for over 300 hours, if RPGM has anything to say about it!

And finally, I've run out of scenario memory! Ack!

More specifically, my scenario data is sitting at 1,190 memory left. This is essentially worst-case scenario for the first scenario card. Here I was worried that I might run out a cutscene or two before the end of the card. Well, appearently, not only do I have the last location in its entirety left, but I still have to do the last room of this dungeon with the boss in it. And this boss sequence isn't going to manage with only 1,190 memory.

I had a backup plan for when I ran out of memory. Get rid of a bit of flash with the enemy encounters, delete a bit of not-too-important formatting in dialogue. But I'm a lot more memory short than I had hoped. Now, I could try scouring my game to scavenge a few more unimportant things to delete. But there's no guarentee that'll help. What I may be forced to do is split the scenario card in half. Which, along with the other reasons I've stated why I'd rather not do that, would also mean that I'm automatically through with the first scenario card, in a much less ZOMG exciting way.

So yeah, I'm at a loss.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

Last edited by ErikaFuzzbottom on December 17th, 2008, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 5:53 am 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

Well congrats on spending so much time in one day.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 8:50 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

After some deliberation and some testing, I have figured out that it's not feasibly possible to recover enough memory to continue the card like this. Not without removing gameplay elements. Thus, the card must get split in half, making the first card only two hours in length instead of the potential four. So much for the length of a scenario card feeling more like a commercial game, as opposed to an RPGM game that had to conform to the limits of a memory card of data. :(

I suppose, though, that leaves me with a silver lining. If I'm gonna have short cards, I can eat up as much memory as I want. :)

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 11:09 am 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage

Level 0

I would rather have short cards with a lot of detail.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 1:20 pm 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage

Level 0

I don't understand any of this RPGM1 memory conversation but good luck with whatever you are forced to or choose to do.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 4:33 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I'm not sure I understand why you just can't end it right were you run out of memory and begin the next card immediately at that same spot. If I cut memory cards off with ANY room still free on that card, I'd probably be in the 20's by now.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 7:02 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

It's what games did back in the PS1 era: end after an important event, a cliffhanger of sorts. If you want to know where I am, the last cutscene explains that the ice is slippery. How's that for a memory card end? The ice is slippery OMG TO BE CONTINUED!

However, looking at it now, I realize there's a potential cliffhangery spot that I haven't even noticed before, and it occurs right before this very dungeon. That'd give me a satisfactory enough memory card length, and I'd bump back up to 7000 memory, which would be enough memory to spruce some things up.

@Bo
RPG Maker 1 is a memory hog. We'll leave it at that. :P

PostPosted: December 7th, 2008, 7:20 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

I guess I don't consider scenario cards like "discs" on playstation RPGs and such... I can see how they are relivant, but that's why dividing your games by chapters and letting those chapter end on those "cliffhanger spots" would free you from not being able to put as much data per card.

But I'm sure you already are quite aware of that. ^^

PostPosted: December 8th, 2008, 9:28 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

That's great news! (The progress part, not the memory card limit of course!)
Makes me want to hurry up and continue my own game. :D

PostPosted: December 19th, 2008, 10:58 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

So I decided to find out how long the first scenario card is, since that's obviously so important to me. As it turns out, it took me two and a half hours. Interestingly enough, that's how long it took me to play through my last demo. Apparently, despite there being more locations to visit and more battles to fight, fighting in all the battles with auto-battle and the fact that most of the battles were a breeze and need rebalancing apparently sped things up by a considerable amount. Basically, this test tonight to see whether I still had a decent-length first card was a waste of time. :P