Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:11 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 7:42 pm 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Originally I had planned to make videos for cut-scenes in this RMXP game. I put together a script and figured out how to do it (for the most part). Below are two, very early, basic concept videos I was working on to test out the cut-scene system. Please note that these are (well, were) WIP and are not necessarily representative of the final quality of the game.

Click this link to go to my blog and see the vids: http://rpgmakerxp.us/blog/?p=107

On an unrelated note: Please read and post in this thread too: http://www.rpgmmag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=8487

Thutmose's Workshop: Making Things for RPG Maker
Kupid RPG Maker Keyboard: Live Stream

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 8:19 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Okay, that's rather impressive.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 8:43 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Why are you plotting out the death of Feros?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 8:50 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Ixzion wrote:
Why are you plotting out the death of Feros?

He knows why. :evil

I actually came up with all the names and whatnot years ago - like five, ten years ago. I've been thinking about DoF for a while.

Draygone wrote:
Okay, that's rather impressive.

Thanks - but there are a lot of problems. Granted, I only spent about two weeks working on the video concepts. I could probably do a heck of a lot better now. But don't hold me to that. :P

EDIT: Also - I re-rendered that Nimol vid in flash. Three years ago, my computer took 28 minutes 35 seconds to render it. Now, my new comp renders it in 1 minute 47 seconds. :D The faster render speeds ought to help me if/when I decide to start working on new videos.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 9:11 pm 
Rank 5: Nimble Thief Rank 5: Nimble Thief

Level 4

This gets my approval. And not just because we share the same name. ;P

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 9:18 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Feros wrote:
This gets my approval. And not just because we share the same name. ;P
I'm glad you're not going to file charges. :^_^

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 6:20 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Impressive? It looks bloody amazing. Seriously, if only RM1 had that kind of power.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 8:26 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Lantis wrote:
Impressive? It looks bloody amazing. Seriously, if only RM1 had that kind of power.

Thanks. :)

The Nimol video (the one with the tower) was just a concept test to see if I could do a simple pseudo-3D animation for the city. The tower in the center was just a place-holder. I wanted to use the RTP to build the tower, houses, buildings, trees, people, everything, and place them inside and outside the walls - sort of like a pop-up book (I can't think of the actual industry-term right now, it's been a while. :P).

The idea was to be able to do a seamless transition from the game to one or more pseudo-3D cutscenes. Image you're playing the 2D game, approach the city gate for the first time, and have the camera pan up and zoom out to reveal the full extent of the city (similar to the concept video). That's something you have never seen in any RPG Maker game before. ^_^

I was planning a big epic-battle scene for Death of Feros, which took place inside and outside the walls of Nimol. As you moved throughout the battle, your area transitions would be interspersed with P3D cut-scenes which would show tens of thousands of animated RTP character sprites battling each other with magic (fireballs, walls of light, lighting, etc). You would see the walls of Nimol assaulted, blown up, repaired (with magic) - not to mention people assaulted, blown up, and repaired (though not repaired as well as the walls). Thanks to the low resolution of RMXP (and depth-of-field), big battles like that should be doable, since I wouldn't have to show very much detail except for close-ups.

In video, it's possible to animate the sprites in ways that are not possible in RMXP. You can have characters jump, leaping toward an enemy, go flying upward when they're hit with a fireball (leaving a trail of flames as they soar through the sky), show smoke and particle effects, blow off soldier's heads, pierce them with spears of ice, animate spurts of blood when they're wounded, and all sorts of wonderful things that you just can't do with "Move one tile right, then one tile left, then one tile up...".

Then there were temple scenes with rivers of light and energy flowing up the walls, the magical construction of buildings, dramatic battle and death scenes, and an epic battle scene flashback which showed the terrible extent of the main villain's true power (you know the moon Beos in the vid? Let's just say it didn't fracture on it's own accord).

There were lots of interesting visuals I wanted to include that you could never see in any other RPG Maker game. Like the fracturing of the moon Beos. That happens pretty early in Death of Feros, so it's not much of a spoiler. But there are a few really cool things that I can't reveal. :( I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to making these games, but I'm better safe than sorry.

Actually, a lot of the visual/technical stuff I thought up for these games was inspired by the old 2D/3D RPGs (mainly FF). They would use 2D backgrounds with 3D elements and animations. I can't pull off their techniques very well myself, but I can use them for inspiration.

With all the custom visuals I wanted to do, the game would end up being like 20 GB or more. :P

It's really too bad that RMXP doesn't natively support video, and you have to use some kind of work-around. If they ever do another PC RPGM, I really hope it includes video cut-scene support. That's the feature that I want most of all.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2010, 5:27 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I've seen the videos. It's an interesting concept.

But if the next PC RM had a video cut-scene setting, project uploads would instantly triple. :p

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2010, 8:59 pm 
Nobody's Coregent

Level 57

Ixzion wrote:
But if the next PC RM had a video cut-scene setting, project uploads would instantly triple. :p

I can imagine some really terrible games would be created. *shudder*

But there is so much potential for video in a 2D RPG, it'd be shame if the next PC title didn't easily allow for it.