Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:40 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 4:20 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

see, i told you id play it.

im on a mini game checking binge. im gona try to play a few of the more active games in progress and provide much needed feedback.

on to the playtest...

i like what i say. the plot is different then a lot of whats out there, and the story progression is fun.

-a reminder: check your maps to make sure your not able to break the map using walkable tiles (a wall of chain was one such frequent occurrence). also note that a tree is missing its top, might be worth a fix. there is a pathway you cant get to right below ada's house. it looks like you just deleted a 3 square band in the tree line, leaving trees in various state of pieces (looks weird)

-im on the fence when it comes to your decision to have no exp. on the one hand it gives me the option to avoid all battles, on the other it disallows me to improve myself other then by using the in game system of power increase.

-battles are nice and balanced which is very good. the only problem is with that sword boss guy. he using his magic way to frequently, dealing 1/3 of my total hp each time.

-though i praised you for your balance in the first battles, its almost gone during the ruin temple part. the massive abundance of monsters (and thankfully heal items) plus having to heal so frequently, makes the ruins a chore. everything hits for 1/4th my hp, and when you get them all attacking i sometimes have to heal every turn, or may end up from full hp to near dead in one turn. a definite reduction is needed.

-i really like the innovative save function. i think its a good idea to introduce fun elements like this to a normally boring functional part in a game.

-a gripe i have is with the lack of interaction. you have this huge town (which is very nice by the way) but almost nothing prompts a response, not a single hidden item or comment about anything. i check peoples beds, dressers, book cases, urns and everything else that id think could give insight into the inhabitants or provide me with some nicknack and i receive silence as a reward. i dont necessarily have to pillage, but even a response of any kind would give deeper depth to the world and main char.

-i like how youve eased the player into the combat system gradually. i just finished abyss of visage and was reminded of how cumbersome it is to overload a new player with strange information rather then give it in small doses and work your way up to more complex stuff.

-ive just gotten to the mini quests part and i like the depth of it and the added feature of being able to see what i have left to do.

-just encountered a serious error. i left the ruins after going up till the angle statues (died to a red skeleton who refused to disappear when i first beat it). i went to buy some food and spoke to claudia a few times. as soon as i left the outside cafe the world shifted to the plains picture and restarted the first chapter tping me and my party outside of my house. the event kept repeating, also activating when i left the map from the opposite side yet not when i entered it from below. i was carrying a pillar at the time so maybe its related?

there i finished the demo. the last fight was really long and hard. the number of attacks and my inability to do much in the way of causing damage before he would mass heal made it a tough fight. the 3 attacks where not bad, though id recommend eliminating critical hits from the army battle just to be safe. but please include a save point at the end of the demo so i can pick up the game when/if you release the rest. i moved my save over so i dont have to replay the whole 3 hours again.

over all impressions: its a good game, i rather enjoyed it. i dont normally play through long games but i found this one simple and enjoyable. there was several written mistakes where a space was needed or a wrong letter was pushed but they didnt detract from the game too much. everything else was mostly easy to understand, though some of the plot elements in the end where confusing. keep up the good work, maybe ill convert this into a review later on.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 10:24 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

Thanlks Karr! I really appreciate it!

- I remember using the chains in a few rooms in town, but not with the intention of stopping the players from crossing. Or are you talking about something else?
About the path below Ada's house, it's not supposed to be a path. I do need to fix those trees though.

-I'm aware that the player might feel inclined to avoid battles if there are no rewards from them. (It even makes ME want to avoid them)
So I'm thinking on mixing among the normal monsters, some enemies that will drop an item, that when you get certain amount of them, you'll get your HP increased.

- About the sword boss, I'll have to check if I did reduce the use % of that move. (I thought I did)

-I'll admit that the ruins had me worried. I'll definitely check it up. I suppose that if I implemented the HP up items, the party should be able to endure the fights.

-About that little fatal error. I found it out after I submitted the demo, and... well, hoped nobody would find out. (Actually, I did hoped somebody found out, it would let me know somebody played that far into the game!) I did fix it on the game, though.

-About the last boss. It used to be a whole lot harder, I had to reduce the damage it did so I could actually beat it in playtest. I also reduced the frequency of it's heal. (I guess I need to reduce it a bit more)
And now it hits me: that dungeon was made before I decided to not use level ups. While I redid the stats, I didn't want to reduce that boss' HP, because it's supposed to have 1 HP per soldier. 1And an army of 1000 sounds more intimidating than 500)

EDIT: I almost forgot! About the lack of interaction in town, I completely agree. And it didn't really hit me until a few days ago. I WILL make it more interactive. A city that is worth exploring. That's one of my new goals.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 10:58 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

and this is why people need to provide feedback on other peoples games. ill link this as an example in the main topic.