Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 20th, 2024, 8:07 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 11:47 am 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress
System wise:
Compared to scenario data, I've fallen behind in this area. I need to start creating monsters I haven't made to many changes. But I did add a mini dungeon (optional)

Sceneario wise:
I'm already on my tenth block. The events that lead to the end of the second main dungeon are already in place. I also finished adding the optional mini dungeon.
I wanted the optional dungeon to be longer initially, but I think that at this point, it might distract too much the player from the main objective. But at the same time I thought it was necessary to add the dungeon so it would explain some things that would set up for some other optional quests

Things to do so far:
Set up monsters for the second dungeon
Add some treasure events and other small details to above dungeon.
Obviously, test and balance monster encounters for said dungeon.

First scenario is coming to an en end! I'm hoping I can speed up the storyline a bit, and try to make citizens inter actuation a more vital part.
Depending on how things go (in my mind) the game may cover 1 or 2 additional scenarios.
But then again, I thought I wouldn't even had to use a second scenario data when I started making the game, so who knows? :D

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2008, 1:06 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress
I finally added the monsters for the second dungeon, so I'm almost done with it. I finally understood how is damage calculated, so battle testing was far easier. And I just hit my 11th scenario data block :D

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 3:37 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Lmao, I read "11th scenario" and was like... OMG, he's caught up to me ALREADY?!

Anyway, I just finished readying up on everything. Looking forward to seeing this released.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 6:27 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

:lol I don't think I could fill 11 MC so fast!
Progress
I'm kind of stuck. There's this big event I want to put, but I'm trying to look for the best way to approach it.
I decided to tweak some things while that strike of genius... strikes.
Anyway, there were a couple of things I was worried about, and was unsure if I should tweak them a bit to make them easier. The preview was very helpful in that area so...

-Did some very necessary balancing in half the battles I've set up so far. Monsters have less HP and hit a bit less harder. This didn't take too long since I finally know how damage is calculated.
-I also tweaked some of the the magic attacks. Character's magic deal a bit more damage. And it does a big difference this early in the game.
-Now you can't die in the intro dungeon. I realized I made it a bit too hard for an introductory dungeon, so in addition to rebalanced monsters, I took an unnecessary pressure of that particular dungeon
-Made the main objectives clearer. I initially wanted the player to have to fully explore the town. Story wise, they won't have too. But they can get weapon/armor upgrades and other items if they do.
There's a phone (Or Talking Message Box :D )on the game that allows you to remove party members. I add the option to hear messages. This might hint to some of the sidequests, or tell you where to go next
Also, most of the houses have a sign with their residents name.
-Did a few changes to the first main dungeon. The animal I think is easiest to miss is still in the same spot, but I added a mini event that helps not missing it. Also noticed one of the events lead to the wrong room, so I fixed that too.
-Redid the currency. Instead of Stones (Don't ask me why Stones. I just wanted Gold out) I switched it to Tokens. Yes, Tokens.
Monsters will drop only a few of them, with which you'll be able to buy food (restorative items)

Things I want to Do:
Expanding the deal with tokens
I was thinking of charging the player like 20 tokens to recover to full HP after losing a fight, and 30 to recover HP and SP(MP) to either continue the fight or appear at the begining of the dungeon with all earned exp.
And maybe addding the option to flee before entering a battle (since all of them are event battles, you can't run from them) at the cost of some tokens.

Custom Sprites:
I'd really like to try some custom sprites for some characters, but I SUCK BADLY at anime maker. I'm still going to give it a try before running back crying for help.
I'll possibly just tweak a few of the default ones to get something closer to what I want.

Hmm.. this sounds like I did a lot of work today... odd...

PostPosted: April 25th, 2008, 1:05 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress None :(
I am feeling SO unmotivated to even touch the Playstation right now. But I'll force myself to even touch it. Maybe once I give that first step, everything else will go better.
I'll probably end up redoing a bit of latest portion of the story I made. That might help me pick up interest. And working on the "Pay to Flee" system. I don't think it would be hard to code. But the though of readjust all the battle events that have been put already to fit the new system is just "Ugh"

On a side note: (and according to wikipedia)
Ugh is an onomatopoeiac representation of an aspirated sigh or gasp, used as an interjection to express repugnance, annoyance, aggravation, irritation, disgust, boredom or horror.

Other forms of the word include urgh, ungh and ergh.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2008, 9:40 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice
Elf lover

Level 0

Is there a playable demo of your game? It's in the game vault but there is no download link.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 2:41 am 
Elf lover

Level 37

No, there's no demo yet. I need to fix a few things before that (And I've gotten a bit lazier as I get busier, if that even makes sense)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2008, 11:45 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Progress report?

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 6:23 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

I'm ashamed to say that there has been 0 progress. :(
Partly because I lent my PS2 to a friend, but I just remembered that.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2008, 12:30 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress
Phisically: none
Mentally: some

Now, you might be asking: "What does that mean?" or saying "ok..." or simply nothing crossed your mind.
While I haven't really touched the game in a while, I just got some ideas that I'll definitely include in the story, and that I'm sure will give the story some more depth.
Gameplay wise, I think I'll drop some ideas like the Pay to Flee. I'll give it some more thought. I'll probably redo most of what I had anyway, so I might be able to make it fit.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2008, 5:58 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Yeah, at least ideas for your game can still keep coming, even if you're not making actual progress.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 2:21 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage

Level 0

I (and I suspect most others) actually do a lot of 'design' in my head away from the game and then program like a robot when I get to the game, so I think what you are doing is fine.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2008, 5:30 am 
Elf lover

Level 37

Yeah, I'm also trying to type all my ideas, so I can get back to them later. I just got a new laptop (yay!) and I've been transferring most of my documents.
So at least for now I'm trying to make character profiles for every... well, character and location profiles, so I can piece everything together story wise)
And since I can now type on the go, I don't have to worry about rushing home to write, or figuring out how to put the Ps2 closer to the PC

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 6:37 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress
Since it had been a while since I even touched RPG maker. I spent most of the day checking the content of my game. While doing so I've

- Modified some dialogs
-Corrected some spelling mistakes
-Started writing a walkthrough of the parts I tested play. This one was mainly to keep track of what special items I've spread so far, but decided to add tips and stuff and make it a formal walkthrough later.

As a refresher, this are things I modified after the preview, but before my... hiatus.

-Rebalanced the battles. They are a bit more forgiving now.
-Made some of the objectives clearer, so the player doesn't have to wander so much around town
-Houses are labeled now. No need to enter every house looking for a particular one.

Things I want to change so far:
- Finish rebalancing: Only rebalanced first 2 dungeons. I need to do the same with the third one.
- Token system
This was idea that I wanted to implement before I stopped working on my game. I noticed I made the event necessary. It's just a matter to transfer all the battle events to it (No random battles) This might take a while.

-Token Tutorial
- Again,I put the option for a token tutorail, but never actually made it. I'll work on it probably after the system has been officially added.

On a side note, I'm enjoying play testing my game. :D
Once I polish the first bit, and the token system, I might upload a demo.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 7:26 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

I'm glad you're enjoying your refresher test play. I know I didn't. :P

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 7:40 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Heh. But I think I found something not very enjoyable. :(
It turns out that my beloved Token System is a memory hog. While my battle events, consisting of 3 way probability take battles 55 (bits?) of memory, they jump to over 600 with it. According to my calculations, after I update 56 more battle events, I'll run out of space. So I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking of discarding it first, because it seemed to much of a hassle. And after I finally figure it all out by myself.... it kind of hurts to let an idea go.

Unless I release the game in short "chapters"
Time to brainstorm!
edit: my mistake, those calculations were removing the 3 way probabilty battles. With them I could only modify 46 more battles. Yikes!

Last edited by Guarionex on December 16th, 2008, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 7:42 pm 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Yeah, I know how you feel. I've had to drop a few features due to memory constraints as well.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:51 pm 
Elf lover

Level 37

Progress: Well the fun is over. :|
The fun part was playing the already pretested part. I really need to rebalance the other part. But before that, I've been adding some stuff. for example:

The help center
To get stronger ans being able to survive the next dungeon (or simply access it) Bill will have to help his neighbors to get upgrades, skills, or a new ally. But instead of going house from house to see who needs help, Bill has a device that takes him to the Help Center.
Here he'll see images of his neighbors in need. When you help one, their image dissapear, so you'll know you didn't miss anything if you clear the Help Center of images. You don't need to enter here to help them, tho.

You might even find a quest that's only available after you check certain images, and to reach those,there willbe some puzzle solving.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 8:32 am 
Elf lover

Level 37

A progress is me!
I just finished Test Play and I'm happy to say that all the battles are finally rebalanced.
Play Time took about 2 hours, and that was me going straight were I had to go, taking only what I needed, so I guess it should be higher for another person who hasn't played it before.
Now I'll be able to continue with the new stuff, I think I have enough space to finish my first scenario card with a last dungeon and a very flashy cutscene. At least that's what I'm aiming for.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2008, 12:27 am 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

why not sure what you have now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next