Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:58 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 8:06 pm 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

since the last update ive either been sleeping or reviewing games, so much that ive not done a whole lot of work on my game. so what have i done on my game?

i realized 3rd card in that my system of dieing needed to be reworked. as it stood for two cards you could just die and be rehealed with full hp/mp and all status ailments cured. as wondrous as this maybe, it doesnt work well with balancing and can force the very kind of gameover i did not wish to create (during event battles if you wernt properly leveled then youd never be able to continue). as restarting the game is something i really wanted to avoid, and even wanting to give the player a better edge through a recovery type of system, i decided on a new system.

from the 3rd card onward you will receive penalties from death like you would in bof3. as i cant govern what happens in battle, rather then having each person who died lose a set amount of max hp, your party will receive a set amount of max hp loss (15 hp per death, per char).

of course after a while the system would break as you cant go below 1 hp and recovering the lost hp would net you additional hp. to fix this i made it so that when you use the recovery system (dieing) more then 3 times, any battle you do thereafter will result in a game over.

now that you have a hp reducing death, how do you recover it? simple, you can either buy back the hp at a designated spot, or if youve prayed at 5 or more athena shrines then you can access it through those. ive controlled it so you cant get any more hp then what you started with.

in the future the amount to pay to recover will rise, and perhaps a more advanced system will need to be implemented when you're able to choose a different party (perhaps i will make every char be deducted rather then singly). for now i rather like this change though i really should of focused my energy on creating more of the game and less of the features. i can even add a wonder essence type item like in alundra.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 9:46 pm 
Rank 3: Studying Black Mage Rank 3: Studying Black Mage

Level 23

Hmm, I kept mine simple and fun-loving. If one or more of your guys are defeated during any battle, they're auto-revived with 1 Hp after you win the battle. Only way to get a "game over" is to lose everyone. So players who aren't into the whole strategy thing can easily get by without having to spend money or go somewhere special to get defeated party members back. For players like me, the challenge is to beat it without losing anyone just for the heck of it.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 10:04 pm 

Level 0

rpg make 1 does this automatically which is nice. i only wish revive items gave more then 1hp.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 6:08 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Hmm, I can understand penalizing the player for losing, but I'm not sure about this. If your next attempt at a boss fight has you with less max HP than before, then wouldn't that lessen the player's chances of winning? I think, actually, console RPGs had had death penalties figured out since the beginning: cut away a large portion of the players' money and send them back to the save point.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 11:22 am 

Level 0

my game works differently then traditional rpgs. very rarely do i have a boss battle after a long dungeon. boss battles are more about event timing then a final challenge to finishing off a dungeon. that being said, my game is easy as far as battles go and this holds true for boss battles. the focus is on the story and character development, the battles are there to add an edge.

i can see how hp would impact the player yet i found it palpable in bof3 to lose a few hps upon death. though my hp loss is a bit more severe then bof3's, the very unlikely hood of dieing to begin with should balance it out.

but you could be right in some different ways. since battles is not my focus then i should be directing my energy away from them and to the story. a big revive system like this may not be the best choice for my game. maybe then id stick to kicking the player out and dropping some gps out of his pockets.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2009, 2:41 pm 

Level 0

said system is now axed. my fellow magonians opinions where quite right in this regard so ive removed the system in favor of the latter.