Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:12 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 8:04 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

<p align="center">

That's what you want.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I tried to do something similar. If you have the weapon equipped, the system will still register it as being in the inventory.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I thought I had tried it again and got it to work, but maybe I'm thinking of some other item relevance.

In any case, there is a way to make the idea work. If the party member isn't in the party when the event is triggered, it won't recognize that the party member is holding the item.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 3:22 am 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

a few things to note. when you "cure" a cursed item, it is destroyed so you will need to control the items removal and then re add the item.

one way to force the weapon is to just disable the weapon slot and keep it disabled, and then add the weapons power as a stat boost, keep the weapon in the inventory so you can use any magic benefits it may have and i think there is a way to get the element property out of the weapon too if it has one. you do however lose the graphic, any multiple attack features, and just about all pretense of realism. cutting out the middle man can work though.

you have 500 switches so use them sparingly. i mark out a set amount of switches for mini games where they always reset after the game. i also have perminite switches marked out where i dont use them more then once and i "recycle" ones that become available (such as a switch that becomes obsolete after i leave an area). ive killed backtracking to save space and give myself more freedom.

perhaps you may even wish to consider using switch combos rather then individual switches. use two switch conditions instead of one. you use more space but you use way less switches (recommended for very high switch necessities).

PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 3:33 am 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage

Level 0

Karr Lord of Chaos wrote:
you have 500 switches so use them sparingly. i mark out a set amount of switches for mini games where they always reset after the game. i also have perminite switches marked out where i dont use them more then once and i "recycle" ones that become available (such as a switch that becomes obsolete after i leave an area). ive killed backtracking to save space and give myself more freedom.

perhaps you may even wish to consider using switch combos rather then individual switches. use two switch conditions instead of one. you use more space but you use way less switches (recommended for very high switch necessities).

I'm not going to use the two hand thing as a class perk anymore. I will still use the cursed item until the character has unlocked the ability to use it. It will just eliminate the need to put it back on and make things a bit smoother.

Yeah, I have all of my switches marked out, and all of the switches I use for the party change system are reused in game. When you enter it all of the switches are turned off. When you leave they are all turned back on.

I have events that use all 6 conditions for the party change event. If that's what you mean with the last paragraph?

PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 3:10 pm 

Level 0

I'm working out the custom class menu; well it's basically done. I just need your guys opinion on something. In the menu you pick what character you want to change classes. When you choose it brings you to the menu with all 12 classes. I made it so only the character you selected is in the party. That way you can go to the default in game menu and see what class they already have. If you hit left or right you will be asked if you want to go back to the previous menu. My question is, should I make it where you pick a class and it will automatically send you back to the character selection menu, or should I leave it up to the player to hit left or right? I'm pushing towards the second option because then you can look and see how the class affects stats and stuff. When you go back to the character selection menu you wont be able to check it because I have a placeholder character. What do you think?

PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 3:21 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

You can leave it so the player hits Left or Right.
As long as you explain it ingame (that you have to press L or R to go back) everything should be fine.
Or was there anything else concerning you about that?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 11:00 pm 

Level 0

Update

I have finished making both the Class Change Menu and Party Change Menu. There was one problem I encountered with the Class menu. It would take a LOT of memory to track what characters are in the party. So instead I made it if you have more then 4 party members it will automatically bring you to the party change menu when you are done changing classes. This saves a lot of switches and space. I also made all 60 skills that can be learned through classes. They're actually just the names.

Now I'm working on making everything I have completely playable. By that I mean tweaking everything, balancing all the monsters, setting Chests, setting skills, ect...

PostPosted: January 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm 

Level 0

Update

Well I haven't worked on it in a couple days because I had to finish up my minigames. Everything that I have in the game is pretty much how I want it. It's all balanced up to where I am. I've been making it in pieces. I work out all of the story events on a section, then go back and fine-tune and balance. Then start the next section. I prefer this method instead of waiting till the end to do all the balancing/fine tuning. Nothing gets old and I'm constantly working on different aspects of the game.

I may not have physically worked on the game, but I have done a LOT of thinking. I have planned out a good ways in advance as far as story and big events are concerned. I have also done more thinking on the driving conflicts and whats making the characters follow the plot instead of just saying f*ck it I have other things to do. I have also been thinking about each individual character. I have typed out semi detailed back-stories and defining moments in their lives that explains why they act the way they do.

I've done the same thing with the setting. I have been asking myself why is this mine, town, or whatever in this location? Why is it abandoned or overpopulated? What is or was it used as? I've just really been trying to think deeper about every little aspect.

I'm considering pulling a Lost and using flashbacks to better flesh out characters.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 2:21 am 

Level 0

Update

I've made a great deal of progress since the last update. I made a rather large town. I still need to make the inside and populate it. I made a Mine and all of the events that go with it. (A puzzle type thing.) I also made a prison. Mostly I've been working on story events and cut scenes. I made 2ish scenes with a good amount of dialogue.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2009, 8:39 pm 

Level 0

Update

I've made some more progress. I made a new town. Well it's actually a military camp turned refugee camp. There's a rather big cut scene that takes place there. I'm really happy how it turned out. It gives a lot of insight as to the people of the camp and overall feel of the world. I also made Fort Rhvine. It's what I'm most proud of so far. I haven't added any kind of events to it yet, but it's looking really good.

As far as story telling goes I'm bringing up a lot of questions for the player to ponder on. Some are obvious and others are pretty subtle hints about past events in characters lives. As the story progresses the questions will be brought up and answered. I really want to utilize foreshadowing and tap into the players own curiosity.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2009, 10:21 pm 

Level 0

Update

I've made some progress. I completely finished Fort Rhvine's design. I added all if the puzzles to it and just need to finish the main scene of the area. It's potentially the biggest scene I've made so far. I have all of the text typed out on my computer so it should go quick once I start programming it all.

I've also done a lot more thinking about the story and how to make the flow feel realistic and not forced.

I may release an unofficial demo in this thread. Would anyone be interested in trying what I have?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2009, 12:22 am 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Yeah, sure. I'm not guarenteed to play it very quickly, but I'm sure I'd eventually get to it.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 2:32 pm 

Level 0

Update

I've done a decent amount of work. Mostly with cut scenes. I have a rather large series of them that play back to back. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I'm nearing the end of my first scenario card. I'm on block 12 with 25000 mem left. In the next week or so I'm going to be going through the card and completing it. Minus the battles. I want it how it should be when I release it. That way I know exactly where I am with the remaining space on the card. Depending on how that goes I'll figure out where I need to do the swap. I'm at a point where I can do it pretty much anywhere.

I'll probably release the first card in this thread when it's done.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 3:19 pm 

Level 0

Update

Wow, it's been a while since I updated. I've made some progress, but not as much as I would like. I have one cutscene to finish before the card switch. It shouldn't take long to finish that. Then I'll have a decent amount of memory to add interactive events and the like.

I've been on a bit of a RPGM break. Well, actually a three-week break so far. I've been catching up on some PS3 games I've been meaning to play. I plan to hit it hard again after I'm done with RE5.

Despite not working on it lately I've been thinking about it quite a bit. I have some really cool ideas I would like to add. We'll have to see if they work once I get there. That's where I'm at. I still have a LONG way to go.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 12:32 am 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 1

Hey, if you need someone to go over what you have made so far I'll be more than happy to volunteer.

On a slightly related note: Get the dang game done! I'm getting tired of waiting for its release.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 1:09 am 

Level 0

That would be awesome. The battles won't be made yet, they'll just be placeholders, but I'm more worried about story and the presentation of the game. Sadly it's nowhere near done. And RE5 has my utmost attention right now. I should finish up the first scenario card sometime this week. I'll send you the file sometime this weekend most likely.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 11:45 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 1

Cool. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 12:32 pm 

Level 0

Okay, I haven't been active on the mag in almost 4 months due to lack of internet. Sadly in that time I did basically nothing PRG Maker wise. A few weeks ago I tried working on this, but something felt off. I just couldn't get back into it. I'm sure it's because my complete lack of planning. I came up with the basic theme and jumped right into creating. I became overwhelmed with everything because I never knew exactly where it needed to go. Now I have a game at about demo form, but have no idea how to carry on with the story. I hate to say this, but I think I'm calling it canceled. I'll tweek what I have and release it as a demo in case anyone is interested in playing it.

Now the good news. Right after I tried getting back into this game I found the itch to create again. I've come up with a new game idea and have been actually PLANNING it out for a week or so. I'm really excited to start work on it, but I'm going to make sure I don't make the same mistakes.

Thanks everyone who showed interest in this. Hopefully my next idea sees completion.