Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:42 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 10th, 2008, 1:33 am 
Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage Rank 10: Cute Lil White Mage
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

Very Cool

PostPosted: January 10th, 2008, 2:52 am 
Rank 4: Fighter in Training Rank 4: Fighter in Training

Level 0

haha right on for the cover art. how the hell do you determine the % to finish?

8 years of working on mine and it pretty much ended like yours did. good thing i kept building onto whatever story i had and ended up with a solid plot. the first card is kind of lame but its picking up as i go along. i hope your game is every bit as successful as youd hope it to be. ill play your game when it comes out.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2008, 10:43 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

It's now done! Woohoo!

PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 4:01 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I created RtE's wiki article.

http://www.rpgmmag.com/wiki/index.php?t ... rn_to_Exia

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 10:24 pm 

Level 0

i took the challenge of going over the game and providing feedback. i was tired after i did so, so ill summerise the stuff i liked here until i can edit my original comments.

i cannot believe you where able to get the entire game on two cards. with the amount of towns, dongeons, field maps, and story progression i was expecting this to be the demo rather then the full game.

i liked that the characters where kept serious and didnt take the route that others have gone where the whole thing is one big comic relief with over taxed jokes and generally making a mockery of the game.

i really liked the variety of the monsters. so many games that ive reviewed have had the same monster sets. im glade to see this game used some of the less well used sprites as monster sets.

i am so use to playing games without random battles that i forgot just how much more battles you get into when you have a system like that. in controlled situations you set the amount of monsters and the places where youd encounter them but with a random encounter set you can face an entire screenfull. it makes for a bit more challange and gives a faster pace to level up.

given my comment in the last paragraph id also say this is the first game where i broke level 20. no other game has ever pushed me to level that high and it gives me a feel of just how many levels that is. it makes the game feel like a traditional rpg length.

i liked how the equipment was kept simple, yet at times it felt overly simplistic. many games choose exotic names where you cant really tell who is to equip what, but with yours i knew almost right away what items i should buy and of which quantity.

the accessory shop was a novel idea. i had all kinds of cash kicking around and much appreciated the boost that attack up items could give. i also made use of the stat increases to give myself an extra push.

the game still has quite a bit more polish to go, especially in clearing away all the bugs that i discovered. overall it does match what you where looking for, a traditional rpg. though i think you still have time to raise the bar a bit higher and make the minor changes that can push your project forward.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 11:56 pm 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

I was going to review this too :L

PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 11:59 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

I don't know if you saw the post, but the entire goal was to bring the game I made all the way in 2001 to everyone with battle balance and no game-ending bugs.

I didn't make any effort to fix what was there up for more contemporary taste.

I saw your post about battle balance, but I did test that and the battles were, to me, tough enough throughout the entire adventure. The magic was also powerful if you used the right kinds against the right monsters.

Can you explain how you played the game. How did you go into battle? Did you level-up extensively and equip all accessories or what?

Did you use the strategy guide that came with it, by chance?

At level 20, you're basically done with the game. Why stop so short of the goal? You've done quite a bit.

I'm really interested in the players' mindset.

P.S. Duel, it's not too late for you. I put it back up on the Queue. :)

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 12:26 am 

Level 0

i dont read guides until my second play through or unless i really cant go forward. i will probably finish it tomorrow after work since i kept my save file and will of had time to readjust my eyes. i thought i had saw the game out ages ago, but i guess this makes sense now why it is as it is.

i never noticed any difference in the monsters weaknesses. i leveled quite a bit just wondering around, but my strategy was to use two weapons and put everything to attack (accessorys ect). i did so much damage just by regularly attacking that magic was completely obsolete. even if i had of discovered monster weakness then it still wouldnt of been any use for me. the games leveling system is so brisk that magic should be more powerful then the time of which you receive it so to give it a longer life span. after my first attempts at its use i just used the healing magics and only touched with the magic that guy has, the hit everyone for 100 dmg spell.

go for a review duel, make sure you have about 7-8 hours of time to play it all. i recommend splitting the game up so not to overdo it in one day like i did. 6 hours of strait battles is tough on anyone.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2009, 12:31 am 
At the Scumm Bar

Level 50

Yeah, thanks for the advice! I'll handle the review with care.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 3:10 am 

Level 0

so i picked up exia again since i couldnt get into my own game. the experience is so much better if im not getting up to write down yet another bug. speaking of bugs, i think my favorite was when the little boy walked through the door to tell me it was going to be ok then proceeded to blow though a wall on the way out. i think i also enjoyed having the final dungeon have all kinds of warnings telling me that this was it and there was no coming back yet i could easily cast an escape spell and return to the world map to restock - keep that bug please.

i liked the last bit much more then the first, and i think thats because your creativity had grown with the game or maybe im just a sucker for snow styled maps. cant wait to see what the ending is like, should be interesting. i wish i had more zonesword thingies.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 12:51 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Hah, I didn't expect anyone to cast Escape to get back there.

By the way, what is your current party? Which characters did you train and/or put emphasis on?

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 1:17 pm 

Level 0

i didnt want to relevel a new party but i did look into all the other chars and decided to stick with what i knew best. i had chris, emerald, first bow guy i cant remember, and jesse. i received far too many extra chars at the end of the game which i felt should of been at least closer to the average level of my party. if they where i would of switched over and choose one with the claw ability or some katana action.