Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:40 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 4:31 pm 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage
Complications

Level 39

Hello everyone. There hasn't been an update for this game in awhile, has there? Well, I've been trying to keep a lid on it for those that want to play it. There is a lot of info that I have to give on this game, but I've been quiet on it long enough.

New updates for the game:

- There are still 25 emblems. List:
* Scavenger (2 Levels)- Earning these unlocks more items to be recovered in containers. (The Search option must be selected for this emblem to be taken into effect.)
* Health Upgrade (3 Levels)- Earning these increasing Health. Without any Health Upgrade, your HP is 20, with all three it is 50.
* Special Skills (4 Levels)- Combat-only skills that cost Health to use. They are the 4 seen the 2010 MagCon video. Pilfer, Disarm, Heart Rate, and Study Enemy.
* Brawler (3 Levels)- Increases physical attack power.
* Hunter (1 Level)- Unlocks Elite enemies. They are stronger variants of older enemies, which yield better rewards when defeated. This includes more XP and better item drops from defeated enemies.
* Perception (3 Levels)- Unlocks secrets in the games, puzzle solutions, and the chance to E-lockpick. E-lockpicking for tougher doors is unlocked with later Perception levels.
* Lucky Day (2 Levels)- Increases the rate of item drops from defeated enemies.
* Inventor (3 Levels)- Unlocks the ability to create items at workbenches. This includes herb mixing, item creation, and weapon upgrading. Higher levels yield higher success.
* Consumer (4 Levels)- Increases the items that can be traded at vending machines. Each level also adds trade items to your inventory automatically.

- The subtitle "The Second Sonnet" has been dropped. Has been for a while. While the phrase still pertains to the game in other ways, the new subtitle is "Reprisal of Sorrow." I chose this because I learned of a term 'dark reprise,' something used in various media- usually theater- where a song used previously in a work comes back, usually in a darker sense. It can also be ironic. Since my game is so much more... uh... darker than Survival 1 (you'll see what I mean in the game), bringing back Sonnet of Sorrow in a much somber way is my own way of showing that things are getting worse for the world as a whole in the Survival universe. For more on reprise (or, as this link puts it, Dark Reprise):
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkReprise

- The multiplayer will be included with the full game release. It has its own scenario data, characters, and items. While the items will be taken away when you leave the multiplayer, I can't stop you from using items from the primary game. Just make sure you want to do that! Anyway, information below.
* 1 or 2 player mode. Naturally, this is done tag-team style so of course there doesn't NEED to be 2 or 2 player, but whatever.
* 30 waves of enemies, with a boss wave every three (wave 3, wave 6, etc.). These bosses are... the bosses of Survival 1!
* You can play as Rebecca, Traz, Jackal, and Amp. There is one more, but its a generic character. And Amp doesn't have his own uniquely colored sprite from Survival 1. Sorry Amp. :(
* There are 4 maps.
* Fire in the Distance- A reddish, fiery map. Along with zombies, dodge the fire menace!
* Foreboding Moon- A dark field surrounding a lake. The large- foreboding- moon in the background. You can climb towers for base defense.
* Memories of Mainfield- A remade map of Mainfield. Somewhat brighter and less ravaged than seen in Survival 1- hence 'memories.'
* River of the Damned- A bloody lake full of corpses separates the scorched halves of a battlefield you reside in to survive the zombie menace.
* You may choose 1 (out of 3) perks to aid you in your fight. They come in: double health, attack power, or more items.
* You are rewarded with item drops every time a boss is defeated.
* Each maps come with a star rating (out of 4). You can get up to 3 stars depending on how far you get in the waves (1 for every 10). To get the fourth, you must complete all 30 without any perks!
* You get 1 EXP for every wave completed, with a bonus bumping it to 100 if you complete all gain your 4 Star Rating. You always get 1 EXP, but you only earn the 100 EXP bonus once.

- The EXP is changed. The game no longer displays earned EXP. Exp required for levels has been doubled, and earned exp for non-combat activities is halved.

- Item creation (as indicated by the above Inventor emblems).
* Herb mixing. This has been reworked from its original version. You find different colored herbs in the field, which you can mix with Herb Base (renamed from 'paste') to create Meds with different potencies: Weak, Strong, and Potent Med.
* Item creation. From using Junk, Parts, and Scrap, you can create items from makeshift melee weapons to extra E-Lockpicks.
* There are five guns in the game, which can be upgraded with both increased firepower (needs Gun Parts) and magazine capacity. One extension can be found for each gun.
* There are five armor pieces. They can also be upgraded for increased damage protection.

- Minigames!
* E-lockpicking. Every time you encounter an electronically locked door (and Perception is high enough), you can use an E-lockpick. Succeed or fail, one E-lockpick is used up.
* Custom menus for Ranking Up, Learning Emblems, Herb Creation, Item Creation, and the Multiplayer mode.

And now for a slight downside- I removed some things for increased memory in the important areas. No more Icons to discover. That is just unneeded.

Last edited by MRevelle83 on October 6th, 2013, 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 5:32 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

This has been a long time coming, but I'm glad it's finally coming out. I still remember the live demo we did at Magcon. What you submitted was awesome.

I'll be sure to front page the game once it releases. It's not often we have a game with as much effort as this come out.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 6:13 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Wow, November 30th, huh? I can't believe that an actual Sequelpalooza game is actually going to come out. For the record, this is the topic that Sequelpalooza started in:

http://www.rpgmmag.com/forums/viewtopic ... 428#p70428

So 5+ years later, it's coming out! Haha. This is definitely going on the front page for a good, long while my man.

The upgrade system sounds even better than it was back in 2010. I can't wait to dive into all those changes and experiment with those upgrades. I'm guessing that part of those will be based on the RM1 Skill system?

The addition of a workbench is also awesome. I kinda had the beginnings of one in Survival, but it seems like yours will be a lot more advanced.

The amount of game modifications in the upgrade system alone are staggering. Hunter, with Elite enemies, seems like a welcome challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing how Perception changes the gameplay up, as well.

The subtitle change from Second Sonnet to Reprisal of Sorrow is a good one.

The most epic thing announced here, out of all epic things, is the multiplayer system. I thought you were going to release that later as a stand-alone game, but now you're including it in the package? Man, Capcom would have charged mad DLC money for something like that. :lol

I can see myself spending a LOT of time in the multiplayer game like I did with Mercenaries in the Resident Evil games. I can't believe you got a recreation of Mainfield as one of the maps, too. I'm extremely hyped to try this mode out.

I don't know how the XP changes work, exactly. Is that making the game harder or easier?

I like the makeshift melee weapons idea. I'm guessing your normal attack won't be that strong? Also looking forward to mixing herbs again.

Wow, each of the weapons themselves will have an extension for ammo capacity? Cool, cool. Some nice strategy should develop here. Also like the armor upgrades.

I like the electronic lockpicking, too. Kinda reminds me of Bioshock in a way. Maybe hacks of vending machines? :p

Yeah, with a game like this, some things have to go. The icons were a cool idea, but if taking them out is going to imrprove the overall experience, then I think it's a good thing.

I've been following this for so long and I think it's great that it's finally about to be actually OUT. I've packed my bags and I'm aboard the HYPE TRAIN bro!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 7:44 pm 
Complications

Level 39

Ixzion wrote:
Wow, November 30th, huh? I can't believe that an actual Sequelpalooza game is actually going to come out. For the record, this is the topic that Sequelpalooza started in:

viewtopic.php?p=70428#p70428

So 5+ years later, it's coming out! Haha. This is definitely going on the front page for a good, long while my man.

Only 4 years for me. :) I started S2 a month before Sequelpalooza. I would have started earlier, but I wasn't aware of it at first.

Ixzion wrote:
The upgrade system sounds even better than it was back in 2010. I can't wait to dive into all those changes and experiment with those upgrades. I'm guessing that part of those will be based on the RM1 Skill system?

The Skills (Pilfer, Disarm, etc.) are the RM1 Skill system (they are S ATKs to be precise).

Ixzion wrote:
The addition of a workbench is also awesome. I kinda had the beginnings of one in Survival, but it seems like yours will be a lot more advanced.

I wouldn't say 'a lot' but it does use a custom menu like the Rank system you saw at MagCon 2010.

Ixzion wrote:
The amount of game modifications in the upgrade system alone are staggering. Hunter, with Elite enemies, seems like a welcome challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing how Perception changes the gameplay up, as well.

Yeah, it was my way of incorporating 'Hard' mode. Instead of changing every enemy, it adds harder ones. They are of course faster and coming straight at you, where the normal enemies move and act like the zombies in Survival 1 (slow movement, random).

Ixzion wrote:
The subtitle change from Second Sonnet to Reprisal of Sorrow is a good one.

I fell in love with that title. I was considering renaming the game Reprisal of Sorrow: Survival II, but RoS is staying the subtitle. Survival II is fine.

Ixzion wrote:
The most epic thing announced here, out of all epic things, is the multiplayer system. I thought you were going to release that later as a stand-alone game, but now you're including it in the package? Man, Capcom would have charged mad DLC money for something like that. :lol

I was going to release it by itself. That was when I wanted to make a system where it tallied up your score and gave a code for an in-site leaderboard. My thinking was I'd do an homage to that RPGM2 Tetris game. Only I'd do that with RPGM1. In the end, there was just too much for something that wouldn't add to much in the end.

Ixzion wrote:
I can see myself spending a LOT of time in the multiplayer game like I did with Mercenaries in the Resident Evil games. I can't believe you got a recreation of Mainfield as one of the maps, too. I'm extremely hyped to try this mode out.

I'm hyped to see someone else play it! And for Mainfield... yeah. I loaded up Survival 1 and pretty much made notes of how you made it. I went over every spot on the map, step by step, and wrote what you put down in what coordinates, and remade it on S2. Of course I changed the color to make it seem like early evening instead of night, and the dead trees were replaced with green, living ones. In other words, I did what most professional games do- came out with updated multiplayer maps from previous games (like Halo having Blood Gulch and Coagulation). Seeing Mainfield healthy was my way of doing that.

Ixzion wrote:
I don't know how the XP changes work, exactly. Is that making the game harder or easier?

Harder. The EXP needed for level up is doubled, while EXP you received is halved. So to get to Rank 2, you need 20 EXP now, and searching containers nets you 1 EXP. Whereas it was 10 EXP and 2 EXP before.

Ixzion wrote:
I like the makeshift melee weapons idea. I'm guessing your normal attack won't be that strong? Also looking forward to mixing herbs again.

If you remember from the MagCon demo, your physical attack did like 2 - 3 damage. And the melee weapons are used from the Item menu. Melee weapons are hard to come by, and most can break through use, so physical attacks are last resort. Brawler emblems help with that.

Ixzion wrote:
Wow, each of the weapons themselves will have an extension for ammo capacity? Cool, cool. Some nice strategy should develop here. Also like the armor upgrades.

Yeah. The Gun Parts are used to 'level up' the weapons, giving them damage increase. You might remember the MagCon demo having emblems for Handgun and Handgun LV 2? Yeah, that. :)

Ixzion wrote:
I like the electronic lockpicking, too. Kinda reminds me of Bioshock in a way. Maybe hacks of vending machines? :p

Maybe. :) It's mostly for doors and such. But... there are others.

Ixzion wrote:
Yeah, with a game like this, some things have to go. The icons were a cool idea, but if taking them out is going to imrprove the overall experience, then I think it's a good thing.

It isn't that they hampered the experience. It's that custom menus eat up RPGM1 memory, and some things just had to go. I'll be making another, more negative topic on axed ideas. So we can all be upset together on what could've been.

Ixzion wrote:
I've been following this for so long and I think it's great that it's finally about to be actually OUT. I've packed my bags and I'm aboard the HYPE TRAIN bro!

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on!

/FFVII

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 5:24 pm 
Complications

Level 39

A small update. The release date is December 14th, to give ample time to get everything done (like the manual) as well as playtesting.

And the entire package will be the EOTW Edition (End of the World Edition- I don't think I need to explain this!).

So- back to Survival II makin'!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2012, 7:04 pm 
Complications

Level 39

A sneak peek at something you can find in Survival II. Though this particular picture is in III, the article first appears and can be read in II.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 1:15 am 
Complications

Level 39

MRevelle83 wrote:
A small update. The release date is December 14th, to give ample time to get everything done (like the manual) as well as playtesting.

:lol

Anyway, small update. I am going to post another blog update and part 3 of the Fallout LP soon. I just want anyone interested in these things to think that I have given up on 'em or something.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 2:33 am 
Complications

Level 39

Portrait of the playable main character of Survival II.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 11:49 am 
Rank 6: Potent White Mage Rank 6: Potent White Mage
Protector of Angels!

Level 18

So that's Becky (Becca? Can't remember.) Looks like a regular girl to me. Hence why she's now in the business of busting up some zombie heads.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 3:25 pm 
Complications

Level 39

I've used both names, but the one I settled on was Becky. :)

Only thing about it is that I've used VX Ace for the portrait, but the game is RPGM1. So yeah.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 7:51 pm 
Complications

Level 39

Newest cover.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 10:18 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
Rainbow Crash

Level 89

Nice cover, aside from the white block. :p

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2014, 5:24 pm 
Complications

Level 39

I'd like to redo this cover, without said white block.

But I'm so bad with manipulating pictures. :P