Site Announcements

• Account registration restricted. Email lord.ixzion AT gmail.com and I will get you set up. Thanks.
  • RPGMM Discord Channel - https://discord.gg/YJnAfVr

• New to the site? Let us know!! - Check here.
  • RPGM Magazine Mission Statement. - Check here.
  • We now have a forum up specifically for the races, check it out. - Check here.

[Continue]

It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:32 pm
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 6:08 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

It’s finally out, guys. After ten very long years of work and fighting the harsh and unforgiving limitations of RPG Maker 1, Arc Arath is done. I want to thank SarahsKnight for putting up with me all this time and I’m super grateful that he has. It was a long and winding road, but it is finished. The game and this thread went live at Magcon 2015 and you can watch it yourself below. (Those that attended got a special edition physical copy of the game, which I go over in detail in the video.)

Anyways, the game is out, hit up the Arc Arath game page and download it. And please, if I could ask, come back to this thread and let me know about your progress, your thoughts, or any bugs you might find. SK and I busted our asses to get this game to be a reality and we’d love to hear your comments, questions, or concerns. If there are any bugs or glitches, I’ll patch them immediately and upload the patched version. And for those of you who will be playing, thanks. It means so much to us.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 10:30 pm 
Rank 2: Eager White Mage Rank 2: Eager White Mage
Complications

Level 39

Downloaded and currently playin'. I'll let you know what I think after I play it some more, but good so far. :D

EDIT: Bug report! Not the main game though, luckily. At the end of the Arc Arath Trailer in the Extras! section, on the last screen it didn't automatically continue. I had to press X first (I could go to the square button menu screen). It was the very last screen, with the flying island in the background. I assume that was not meant to happen.

Also, I assume you want to know about spelling errors?

In the About Arc Arath section, when you select Classes of Magic, it says: "There are four diffrent classes of mag: Fire, Water, Thunder, and Terra."

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 2:27 pm 
Rank 0: Magonian Apprentice

Level 10

Wow. Just... I thought this was going to be the final demo before the release.
And yet... The game is finally out...

I will start playing it now.
And big congrats on finishing the game.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 2:55 pm 

Level 10

Well, first thing I want to say is...
I am slightly annoyed by there being a sound effect when you scroll throught text, and would prefer if there wasn't.
I know this is a very simple fix, but not sure if other people would agree with me on the need of changing that...

EDIT:
Sorry, but I didn't start the game yet, only went throught the offline website and extras so far, so don't have much else to say... yet...

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 4:41 am 

Level 10

Found a typo on the Offline Site. On the screenshots/maps page, under the screenshot with the battleship minigame, it says "There are very VIEW mini-games in Arc Arath, but they are there if you look." I'm guessing it should say "FEW"

EDIT:
The FAQ calls the game "S.O.E" instead of "Arc Arath" at one point, in the "{About S.O.E.} " explanation.

EDIT 2:
Taking a closer look at the official site, the "Character Bios" section uses the old character names for Jay House and Brad Fentress

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 3:03 pm 

Level 10

A typo this early in the game?
Very first dungeon, the forest, and the very first sign... Typo already...

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 5:00 pm 
Complications

Level 39

AliciaAlice wrote:
A typo this early in the game?
Very first dungeon, the forest, and the very first sign... Typo already...

Not just that. Look to the left... "values" is misspelled too.

Another typo, spoilered out for the people who have yet to play AA.

Cutscene with Grandis, before fight with Greenpeace-
"the first casulties of a war that we,"

Though like I said earlier, like it all so far. Typos are nothing, man. The important thing is no bugs found yet (besides the small one pointed out above).

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 5:25 pm 
Rank 7: Learned Black Mage Rank 7: Learned Black Mage
Elf lover

Level 37

That's awesome! There are ways to play it on the PS3, right? I'm a little out of the loop...

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 9:08 pm 
Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage Rank 11: Sexy Black Mage
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Good thing I won't be playing this for a while. =P
(Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha.)

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 1:19 am 
Complications

Level 39

Guarionex wrote:
That's awesome! There are ways to play it on the PS3, right? I'm a little out of the loop...

The PS3 version is available on the game page, yes. That's what I'm playing it on. :D

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 1:56 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Just letting you know that I'm super grateful that you guys are pointing this out for me and I'm making a list of everything. I will be compiling a list of fixes and will be updating the game with a patch. My absolute biggest concern right now is game breaking glitches... which so far haven't surfaced.

Though I will throw this out there. And I want to make sure you know that I fully realize just how much BS this will actually sound, but most the things you guys have mentioned, SK and I have already tried to fix. For example... that issues with the in-game trailer with a take-over missing that goes back to the main menu is something that we've fixed before, but for some reason RPG Maker 1 will "forget" that we've made that change. We've thought that maybe it had something to do with over-righting of the .GME file in Dexplorer (or Dexter), so we would delete the actual contents of the .GME before backing up the updated card to the .GME file, but even then, there have been a few instances of spelling errors or event adjustments that seem to kind of 'undo' after some later changes. It has by far been the most frustrating part of finishing Arc Arath. SK has called me on more than one occasion very upset because a typo he found has somehow un-corrected itself. I would have mentioned this before, but with all the negative feedback we've been giving RM1 over these recent months, we didn't think you guys would really care to hear it, so we've just kind of kept this to ourselves.

Just know, that if you've found a problem, we've most likely have already found it already and made an attempt to fix it. Even then, we are very glad that you care enough to find these for us. And we will do what we can to get them fixed and updated when we can.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 2:03 am 

Level 10

Well, that is interesting, and weird at the same time...
RM1 un-doing itself? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 2:24 am 
Complications

Level 39

Actually, I think I may have had the happen to me during S2 development. It's weird, but it was so rare that I thought it was just a genuine mistake on my part. I wonder what causes this?

Or is it a glitch with games that hit 999:59? Since the clock stopped, you never know...

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 3:25 am 

Level 10

Well, both AA and S2 have been in development for this long.

So we can say it's all RM1's fault. Any minor glitches or typos we see - we will just blame on RM1 (Dray, remember that).

So not only was RM1 not intended to create such long games, it was not intended to have such long development times, it seems

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 10:21 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

AliciaAlice wrote:
So we can say it's all RM1's fault. Any minor glitches or typos we see - we will just blame on RM1 (Dray, remember that).

My schedule won't allow me to play it until next year. I make no promises.

"What if like...there was an exact copy of you somewhere, except they're the opposite gender, like you guys could literally have a freaky friday moment and nothing would change. Imagine the best friendship that could be found there."

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 10:41 am 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

AliciaAlice wrote:

You say that, But I can tell you exactly where a typo is, well before you will run across it, that SK has fixed that has unfixed more than once and we've given up on it. Actually, there was something minor missing in the beginning of the game that I specifically added just for a little player convenience. The last test play I did, it was there. I took that file, zipped it up, released the game, and then playing the PS3 version at Magcon, I noticed it wasn't there anymore. If there is something that we really did overlook, we'll take responsibility for it. We aren't perfect and I know we've made a mistake at some point. But RPG Maker 1 really is refusing a good few changes we've made. SK and I have had many conversations about this, and at times he was inconsolable.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 11:48 am 
Spotted Skunk/Dragon

Level 158

Did you try saving the changes to an empty memory card?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Level 30

Do older changes get changed back?
Like, if you change thing 1, and save it (save 1), then change thing 2, and save it (save 2), is it possible for thing 1 to get discarded, but thing 2 to still remain saved?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 2:21 pm 
Site Admin Site Admin
"The worst pokemon."

Level 97

Draygone wrote:
Did you try saving the changes to an empty memory card?

I've tried formatting the card, but it still seemed to happen. I don't actually have that many PS1 memory cards.

wariolandgoldpiramid wrote:
Do older changes get changed back?
Like, if you change thing 1, and save it (save 1), then change thing 2, and save it (save 2), is it possible for thing 1 to get discarded, but thing 2 to still remain saved?

Yes. That seems to be exclusively what happens.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 2:28 am 

Level 30

I have no idea what could cause this... Can RM1 or the memory cards be corrupted or something?